OP
surfn

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you guys are fancy... My water topoff system consists of me and a gallong jug. :D

coralnutz, that was the way i've ALWAYS done it also, and am still doing it that way ;) but i need something more automated that i can rely on so i can go away for an extended weekend, or if i'm just way too busy to add water to the tank every day or two. right now the sump part is quite big, as i can withstand about 5g, maaaaybe 6g of evaporation in the sump before my pumps will start sucking air. i made it that big on purpose b/c i knew i would be lazy in adding new water, and hoped it could go about 3 full days without needing water.

however, i'd like to make a bigger fuge area, which means less return area. i.e. i would need to have something kinda of automatic auto-top off in order to achieve that same 3-5day window (or longer) without having to check on it.

twon, i lose about 1g of water per day right now. during the summer or when i have the fans blowing hard to keep the temp down, i sometimes lose 1.5-2g/day.

i looked through my manual, and the way i read it is that the top-off control module is just a transformer, that connects the water sensor to the LM3. you would still need to purchase an additional pump to add top-off water. as the module just turns one of the pumps (A, B, or C) on and off accordingly.

i guess that makes sense though, if i set the pump to 3.7L/day (1g), it would never over shoot that mark b/c its essentially "dosing", and not turning a pump on full force and relying on the float switch or sensor to cut it off. so i guess the fact that it is dosing a set amount per day anyways, it is essentially a back up system in itself. so i can never over shoot and over fill the sump as long as my evap rates stay somewhat constant.

so what is the point of the sensor then?

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, done for the day, gota go to work at 11pm :( . got most of the trim work done. i'm going to add the side panels tomorrow.

i have alot of touch up work to do that will probably occupy me the rest of the week. filling in 1/16" gaps etc. b/c the top board which lowes sells at 24"x24" is really 23 7/8" x 23 6/8" lol

trim%20work.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the sensor is for when you use the litermeter with two pumps to do continuos water changes, that way if one pump gets off its calibration you won't flood anything.

i think i remember something about the litermeter being developed for hydroponics, so it might have some other uses there.

so you have the litermeter but aren't using it?

do you realize the salinity swings you are getting now? i really suggest you hook that baby up; if i still had some ppe's id wager them on you getting better growth and color once you hook it up.

i think the 150 doses a day does so much for tank stability, and when dosing kalk it keeps alk and ca up

you saw my frag tank and how bad it looked after not topping off on schdedule, youve got it, use it.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you guys are fancy... My water topoff system consists of me and a gallong jug. :D

yeah, but once you evaporate 2.5 gallons a day on a 90 and 4 gallons a day on 180 you;ll appreciate not having to mess with the jugs.

an aqualifter on a timer is also a great way to do a cheap top off.

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to borrow a jigsaw to get this next part done, as i had to cut out some notches on the bottom platform so it could fit around the 2x4 legs.

so for this week, my goals are just to reinforce those other 2x4's i put in on the legs (i just glued them in so far), and secure those platforms to the top and bottom. once all that is done, i'll be looking to add some trim work around the edges and some panels to the sides.

that will prob keep me busy most of the week as i have some other important things i need to attend to this week.

i should also get my lumenarc reflector this week, so i can start planning out the canopy build. (actually, i decided to go with the lumenarc mini).

stand%20with%20platforms.jpg

LOL, Whaddya MEAN this isn't a scratching post???

<giggle>
Laurie

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i've been using my LM3 for over a month now. but i still only have the one pump, which is dosing a concentrated baking soda solution (based on randy's 2 part), to keep the alk up.

i'm gonna need 2 more pumps to accomplish top-off, and calcium.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, i've been using my LM3 for over a month now. but i still only have the one pump, which is dosing a concentrated baking soda solution (based on randy's 2 part), to keep the alk up.

i'm gonna need 2 more pumps to accomplish top-off, and calcium.

why don't you just use kalk? the litemeter eliminates any risk of overdose other than pure user error, which you saw in my case when i just turned the pump on and forgot about it for an hour+

and kalk will probably be able to keep up with your alk/ca demand, and you will just need the one pump; even if not maybe once a week with two part, that is where i am at now,

at least try it for now, ill give you some mrs. wages thanksgiving

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, been a while since an update. i got hammered with work the last 3 weeks of november, working 60+hr weeks.

right now, i am done with all the trim work on the stand, have a little bit of sanding to do on the canopy, and i hope to put a primer coat of paint on them tomorrow.

i still have to add some sort of doors to 3 sides of the stand, and the front side of the canopy. but in the mean time i'm gonna get this bad boy painted. :)

stand%20and%20canopy.jpg

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i finished painting the stand, and put the cube tank on the stand. then when i was taking it off the stand it slipped out of my grasp and landed pretty hard on the stand and cracked one corner of the tank. :(

so i'm kinda in limbo of what to do now.

my stand is 24"x24", so i was thinking of getting a custom made cube that is 24"x24"x18". was thinking glass cages, but alot of people say they have crappy work.

so now i'm looking for suggestions....

i will be moving to another apartment (again), around early/mid July. so i'll prob just set the new tank up in the new apartment while i'm tearing down the old tank in the old apartment. kinda pointless to set up a new tank and just have to tear it down in a month to move.

so i'm gonna get the new tank/stand set up completely done, plumbing and everything ready to go. should make the move ALOT easier.

so yeah, if anyone has suggestions on where to order a tank from. let me know. would really like a 24"x24" tank, no higher than 18"-20". (not really interested in the oceanic 60g cube)

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i usually drill holes for bulkheads etc myself.

i'm not very good at siliconing baffles in my sump, it gets quite messy. so i dont think i'd be too good and putting together my own tank, bracing and all....

maybe if i started with smaller tanks and got the hang of it first...but i dont really need any smaller tanks.

it is something to think about though....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back