New tank build: curing/ bleaching rock question

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start a new build of an 80g shallow reef 4x2x16” with a sump ranging from 30-60gals. (Haven’t decided yet)

I have about 30lbs of love rock in my current 30g tank. It’s carbisea liferock.

I have about 60lbs of old/used live rock I got from another reefer

I planed on buying some Brs reef saver too if needed.

Question I have is how should I treat the used live rock. It’s sitting in my garage now. Should I bleach it (what’s the procedure for this) or just stick it in a brute with a heater and power head and salt water? Anything I’m over looking. Should I just do something with the rock when I start my tank cycle?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start a new build of an 80g shallow reef 4x2x16” with a sump ranging from 30-60gals. (Haven’t decided yet)

I have about 30lbs of love rock in my current 30g tank. It’s carbisea liferock.

I have about 60lbs of old/used live rock I got from another reefer

I planed on buying some Brs reef saver too if needed.

Question I have is how should I treat the used live rock. It’s sitting in my garage now. Should I bleach it (what’s the procedure for this) or just stick it in a brute with a heater and power head and salt water? Anything I’m over looking. Should I just do something with the rock when I start my tank cycle?

Is the "live" rock still in saltwater or is it dry now?

OP
OP
Burrito

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been out of water for a few weeks. Still feels slightly damp but not in water. Sitting in empty buckets in my garage.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been out of water for a few weeks. Still feels slightly damp but not in water. Sitting in empty buckets in my garage.

You'll have to cure it again before use. There will be die off on it. I would just dump it into a tub and fill with saltwater. Test for N03 and P04 periodically. Change the water until the N03 and P04 comes down near zero.

You could bleach it and then rinse it very well and do the same thing as stated above till it's cured. Might speed up the process a little. Your call.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back