New Tank Build water question

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve searched the boards and I can’t seem to find the answer to my question on here! So I’ll be building my 2nd tank in the coming weeks. What type of water do you guy suggest once I have everything plumbed and ready for the first dry run?

Obviously I don’t want to use 150g of rodi water for the test. Last time I used tap water but watching some of the brs builds they mention not doing that.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought my system up on RODI, tested it and then mixed in the salt. I had just enough water in the sump to get the pumps to work. The level went up when I added the rock.

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought my system up on RODI, tested it and then mixed in the salt. I had just enough water in the sump to get the pumps to work. The level went up when I added the rock.

Did you mix it in the tank I take it?? I’m combining my existing 75g tank into this one so that could be a little more complicated.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi, unless you plan on testing your tap water ( and it has low TDS, in which case you should still get a local water report on what it tested at from the facility, and also verify you don’t have copper pipes) and decide it’s fine.
Or you can just wash it out with rodi water and if it’s a new tank, maybe just run a bit of carbon for a week if you’re nervous.

Our well water is absolutely atrocious. But I use it for leak testing and then just wash with a bit of RODI.
That’s just what I do though, and I’m sure others would have an issue with it.

Best of luck!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 75 I just went for it. I turned on the return pump and added water to the sump from my mixing tub.
There was no test.
i-XWdxgWx-M.jpg

i-mpZ96MN-M.jpg

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not watched the BRS video(or I must have missed it) but what is the harm of using regular tap water to test your tank? Of course you will drain those tap water and use rodi when you are ready, right?

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not watched the BRS video(or I must have missed it) but what is the harm of using regular tap water to test your tank? Of course you will drain those tap water and use rodi when you are ready, right?

That’s what I did last time yes. Maybe it could add unwanted chemicals to some of the filter media?? Just wondering if I was missing something.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason to not use tap water for a basic leak test with no substrate, no rock, no nothing.
I mean you’re draining it all out anyways. This is what I did on my last tank. Drained all the water out then wiped it out with vinegar. Let dry then started with Ro/Di.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did last time yes. Maybe it could add unwanted chemicals to some of the filter media?? Just wondering if I was missing something.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question. But what filter media? I would think if you are only water testing, you don't need to put anything except your return pump.

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry if this is a stupid question. But what filter media? I would think if you are only water testing, you don't need to put anything except your return pump.

I was just speculating why they could not want to use tap water. It’s brs 360 videos they’re publishing recently. I think I’ll just do rodi water then eventually pull it out and mix it. Thanks for the help!

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just speculating why they could not want to use tap water. It’s brs 360 videos they’re publishing recently. I think I’ll just do rodi water then eventually pull it out and mix it. Thanks for the help!

Ooo that one.. I must have missed where they said they use rodi water just to test the tank.

But... I don't know about you. I rather waste tap water rather than rodi water (god forbid) if the tank leaked.

But if you tested it with Rodi water and its good. Might as well just add salt and mix it. Why would you need to pull it out?

stiffljp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically test with RODI water then add salt. I assume that any brand new tank is OK (if custom they should have tested on their end, if stock they should have QC) and I'm only testing pipe & bulkhead connections. Bulk heads seals are relatively easy to test for and easy to drain water back to storage if needed. Testing the plumbing is typically where you will find leaks and I always have plugs ready to stop water flow, drain the line, fix, then try again. You will also find out if you put the unions in the right spot. : )

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back