New Tank & Bulkhead size?

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my new tank delivered today, it was custom drilled returns on the back, they were suppose to be 1" sch 80, all plumbing was in box when they delivered it.

I have never used sch 80 bulkheads before. How lose are they, seem to have a lot of play in them, around the sides that is. Where as when I have used sch 40 in the past they fit snug. I happen to have some 1 1/4 bulkheads sitting around abs sch 40 sitting around, and they fit the holes perfect. Snug but not too tight, I am wondering if they place that drilled the holes messed up.

For those that have used sch 80 bulkheads how much room should I have for the bulkhead to be free moving?

Thanks

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sloppy dont sound right to me. I'd use the 1.25" for a closer fit.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my new tank delivered today, it was custom drilled returns on the back, they were suppose to be 1" sch 80, all plumbing was in box when they delivered it.

I have never used sch 80 bulkheads before. How lose are they, seem to have a lot of play in them, around the sides that is. Where as when I have used sch 40 in the past they fit snug. I happen to have some 1 1/4 bulkheads sitting around abs sch 40 sitting around, and they fit the holes perfect. Snug but not too tight, I am wondering if they place that drilled the holes messed up.

For those that have used sch 80 bulkheads how much room should I have for the bulkhead to be free moving?

Thanks

both sch 40 and 80 should have some play and should not be snug. did you measure the hole opening?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Good reason for price adjustment . Did you pay with CC?

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole is around 2 1/8 just bit less than 1/8. According to chart on BRS it should be ok but makes me uneasy. should I just go with the inch and a quarter bulkhead then or can I use the 1 inch schedule 80 all that play with the schedule a knee makes me very uneasy

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have any thoughts as to which bulkheads would be best given the hole size at this point?

Thanks

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you guys think I should just use the 1 1/4 sch 40 bulkheads?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rule of thumb is that as long as 3/4 of the gasket is against glass, good to go. Just make sure to support the return pipe so it doesn’t pull on the bulkhead. The potential problem with 1 1/4” bulkheads is limited nozzle options.

OP
OP
F

fishstix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for advise, I have a bushing for the 1 1/4 down to the loc-line 3/4, s that won't be a problem. I am just worried so much play with the 1" sch 80 bulkhead that it won't seal correct. I mean it moves all around. I need t measure how much.

Lordbmills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question. Does it matter how many bulkheads I have in an over flow box for more flow or is one ok in an overflow box?

Lordbmills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an over flow box rated for 1200 gph. Does it matter how many 1” bulkheads I need to achieve this flow?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back