new tank, but no cycle?

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up a biocube 32 a week ago exactly, and used 40 lbs live sand (rinsed) + a ton of live rock from a LFS. I added 3 chromis 2 days ago. So far, all my numbers (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) are still zero. I also added full bottle of Dr. Tims one and only 3 days ago. I haven't had an algae bloom, lights are on 8 hours a day. No clean up crew yet.

did my tank not cycle since everything used was "live?"

I remember when i first got into the hobby 15 years ago i bought a complete system from a reefer, transferred it home and set it up again (drained water, left sand in the tank, and set it up a few hours later).

I'm thinking Either i didn't cycle or its a very light cycle...

Can I start adding more fish? i'm waiting on the snails and CUC till i see some algae and get more fish so theres actually something to clean

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

problem solved :)

can u post pics of your rock we collect that certain kind of skip cycle live rock

the kind that shows up ready, and everyone wants it to not be ready because it feels like an illegal rush, but is indeed 110% ready the instant it hits your tank.

sometimes when people say live rock they may mean dry rock, or uncured, but in that thread we show how to exclude those two conditions without having to use any test kit whatsoever. The third kind of rock leftover is pure simple skip cycle live rock from a pet store bin of other live rock with coralline and fanworms and pigments and attachments showing years underwater. This transfers tanks infinitely and never uncycles as long as kept wet and in a reasonable reef environment.

you are part of a certain type of cycle, skipping one, per above. That’s about fifty others sublinked there.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this thread should stay up

you have pure skip cycle live rocks if the description is accurate and implies the living attachments listed above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A3FFC5E-83C5-4D75-8FB4-FAA12F77ABDA.jpeg

I got 90% of it from the LFS LR bin.... no lights etc. another couple small pieces came from another LFS display tanks.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s confirmed, even the base rocks have an occasional standout spot thats very good, very good. Your chances of getting dinos is the lowest in reefing, that rock was a good buy

OP
OP
S

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this thread should stay up

let’s compare it to the other one for this pattern of troubleshooting-

option 1: this tank will cycle a little.

option 2: this tank will cycle a lot.

option 3: this tank will do what is shown in fifty links above which is have no delay, ever, in any case.

we need two simultaneous threads to evaluate the consistency of skip cycling, this should stay up and the other thread we will link above after it builds awhile as the public’s view on skip cycling, to see if it aligns with that thread.

we are looking for any sign of doubt that live rock cannot move water tanks and stay alive.

we can watch that thread unfold and see if it aligns with known skip cycle evaluations.

you have pure skip cycle live rocks if the description is accurate and implies the living attachments listed above. Looks like some resolute refs have been working the thread so far.
Can you elaborate? What’s a skip cycle?

OP
OP
S

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s confirmed, even the base rocks have an occasional standout spot thats very good, very good. Your chances of getting dinos is the lowest in reefing, that rock was a good buy
What’s a standout spot? What makes it a good standout spot?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cycled set of rocks are never undone when they move between two reefs that are reasonably close in params

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods aren’t the final say, they are one piece of the puzzle. That rock isn’t particularly porous to house a lot of them. But it’s been underwater a long time and that’s all that matters.

this tank can carry fish. It carries the current ones in clear water because it skipped the normal 30 day wait.

those pink spots take a long time underwater to appear, they proof that the rocks were in dark containers a long time and by that fully cycled when you moved them home.

Take one hour to read this it will change your reefing. You’ll never use bottle bac again most likely. All terminology we use is found here. The way your rocks are part of four different types of cycles is defined here with examples.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up a biocube 32 a week ago exactly, and used 40 lbs live sand (rinsed) + a ton of live rock from a LFS. I added 3 chromis 2 days ago. So far, all my numbers (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) are still zero. I also added full bottle of Dr. Tims one and only 3 days ago. I haven't had an algae bloom, lights are on 8 hours a day. No clean up crew yet.

did my tank not cycle since everything used was "live?"

I remember when i first got into the hobby 15 years ago i bought a complete system from a reefer, transferred it home and set it up again (drained water, left sand in the tank, and set it up a few hours later).

I'm thinking Either i didn't cycle or its a very light cycle...

Can I start adding more fish? i'm waiting on the snails and CUC till i see some algae and get more fish so theres actually something to clean
Yes that is what happened. Using established rock with the addition of the chromis for a small ammonia source= quick cycle. I’d go ahead and start adding more fish and wait on cuc until you actually need them.

OP
OP
S

subzero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods aren’t the final say, they are one piece of the puzzle. That rock isn’t particularly porous to house a lot of them. But it’s been underwater a long time and that’s all that matters.

this tank can carry fish. It carries the current ones in clear water because it skipped the normal 30 day wait.

those pink spots take a long time underwater to appear, they proof that the rocks were in dark containers a long time and by that fully cycled when you moved them home.

Take one hour to read this it will change your reefing. You’ll never use bottle bac again most likely. All terminology we use is found here. The way your rocks are part of four different types of cycles is defined here with examples.
Measures today:

66BA31F5-99A4-43F1-AF6F-7CB082C3BBD0.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is more yellow than most, pretty good api reading there. Only the ammonia portion matters, that it’s not pegged green with living fish is proof chemically of your cycle, nice tank.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the nitrite looks compliant too

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back