New tank/clown fish die immediately

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In better news, if you didn't quarantine them, now you'll probably (Maybe) have ICH waiting for you. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nicer way, Unless you set up the tank and allowed it to seed, for at least 4-6 weeks and added bacteria, tested water and kept log of readings, you were likely on road to disaster.
Nothing goes fast in reefing and in fact you must literally drag the first few weeks before you can truly begin to stock fish and eventually coral.
A few persons asked about parameters. There is a reason and certain numbers are of High importance especially when starting out. I am providing you a chart below to use for reference. In the mean time. you should see steadily the following numbers BEFORE you can begin to walk into a pet store and purchase any livestock:

Temp range - 77-79
ph 8.0-8.3
salinity - 1.024-1.025
ammonia- .02 max
Nitrate .03 max

- How were fish introduced ( also called acclimated? ). if you floated them and let them out after a few minutes from the bag- Death was invited.
- What test kit(s) are you using?
-
What water do you use for tank? RO or Tap water from faucet?

Parameters.png
Thanks for providing the softer approach vetteguy. Too often the snarky remarks do nothing more than turn people away from the help they are seeking. And the rapid fire questions with no explanation does the same. Some times those of you with more experience also need to take a deep breath, slow down and remember your newbie days. I am new again to the hobby which has significantly changed in 30 years. I am doing my homework and quite frankly stop reading threads when the snark monster comes out.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other end, maybe you'll take what I said to heart and quarantine. That way the tank is fallow for a while and you start off without dealing with disease? Just a thought :)

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a decently nice guy, it's just insanely basic questions irritate me. :) Especially when I have to watch the video of poor clownfish dying..

Last edited by a moderator:

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a decently nice guy, it's just insanely basic questions irritate me. :) Especially when I have to watch the video of poor clownfish dying...so who's insensitive? The person who just dropped fish 2x into a tank to die without proper research or me for my sarcasm? :)
That answer is easy look who’s getting the thumbs up...not you for your sarcasm it’s vetteguy, cshouston and others. OP feels bad enough I am sure, doesnt need to get piled on

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That answer is easy look who’s getting the thumbs up...not you for your sarcasm it’s vetteguy, cshouston and others. OP feels bad enough I am sure, doesnt need to get piled on

I mean, I really don't care about thumbs up or down. :) I just pointed out the fact that he might and probably now has a disease in his tank. That I have, and probably EVERYONE has had in their tank early on. I'm sure everyone hates ICH, and I was pointing it out with my dislike for ICH.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nicer way, Unless you set up the tank and allowed it to seed, for at least 4-6 weeks and added bacteria, tested water and kept log of readings, you were likely on road to disaster.
Nothing goes fast in reefing and in fact you must literally drag the first few weeks before you can truly begin to stock fish and eventually coral.
A few persons asked about parameters. There is a reason and certain numbers are of High importance especially when starting out. I am providing you a chart below to use for reference. In the mean time. you should see steadily the following numbers BEFORE you can begin to walk into a pet store and purchase any livestock:

Temp range - 77-79
ph 8.0-8.3
salinity - 1.024-1.025
ammonia- .02 max
Nitrate .03 max

- How were fish introduced ( also called acclimated? ). if you floated them and let them out after a few minutes from the bag- Death was invited.
- What test kit(s) are you using?
-
What water do you use for tank? RO or Tap water from faucet?

Parameters.png

Agree with vetteguy. Rushing invites the problems and everybody here has done it once or twice or a thousand times. Tank setup also depends. I like to use ocean water and live sand. And cured rock fake or real. Depends on size of tank too. But doing all that cuts they cycle way way down as far as time. That’s how you see tanks set up so fast. Your system could cycle in a week. Truthfully tho it takes a very long long long time. Even after a system cycles it’s still adjusting based on what you add to it. Clownfish are pretty tough. Slow down take your time and learn as much as you can about beneficial bacteria and the nitrogen cycle.

Also know mollies can swing both ways. They go fresh and saltwater. Test the salinity. I noticed you said the Mollies doing well. If it’s a salt water Molly which I’m sure it is. They can almost go Brackish. Clowns darting around not a good thing. Also consider the store you buy from. I only buy from Reef shops. Tank raised when it comes to clowns. But 1 week is pretty quick unless you did what I do.

Last edited:

Griley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same thing just happened to me. I’m going to try pointing the power head to the surface and putting in a poly pack. Is you tank up and going good now? What did you end up doing?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back