New tank cycle

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I cycled a 25 gallon frag tank with 40 gallon sump for a month. I have not done a water change at all and tested parameters
Ammonia o
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphate 0.54
Calcium is over 500
Magnesium I tested twice and can’t read cause it’s over 1600
Salinity 1.025

I’m using Red Sea, Hanna, and salifert for testing.
Reef crystals for salt. No sand in tank and about 25-30 lbs of live rock in sump.

I need some advice on getting cal and mag down please.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of posts with people using reef crystals and having calcium and magnesium off the charts. One person recommended rolling the bucket around before mixing because of the mixture separating during shipping.

My recommendation would be to switch to Tropic Marin pro reef, I've never had any inconsistencies with it, and do several water changes. It's likely that if you add corals to that tank they will die because of the huge difference in water parameters from what they're used to. Otherwise the only way I'm aware of to get them down is to let the inhabitants consume the calcium but I'm assuming you don't have any yet

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used anything but Tropic Marin since I started and I've never had a problem maintaining parameters. There have been many people successful with all the salts out there, and it can be a hotly debated topic, but I'm sticking with what has been working for me.

OP
OP
Jamesrup0411

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting because I’ve used reef crystals before and never had this issue. I did just place my coral in my tank that I had at my my buddies house while I finished cycling and nothing looks happy. I’m probably going to take them back there until I can get this fixed

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals has given me high mg and cal readings over the past year. I was using the 5 gallon buckets. I recently bought a case of 4 bags (makes 200 gal) and my readings have been more in the acceptable range since the switch. Maybe there is less settling with the bags? FWIW my understanding is high mag and calc is not detrimental to coral health, but can cause buildup on pumps and other equipment

Soronus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bucket I think I'll try the bags, if that doesn't work I'm going to change salts

OP
OP
Jamesrup0411

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my torch was growing another head, I looked today as my lights were starting to turn off and I see the side of it split. Is this normal or do you think my water chem is causing this?

A64F45A9-CB6F-4A85-9275-8ECAB6A1B9E1.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium will go down when things in your tank start consuming the calcium. I had this same problem when my tank was young and mostly empty.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back