New tank direction: Adding 9 clownfish

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 4 ocellaris clownfish in my tank. One of them got squashed inbetween some rocks and died.
I've now had to seperate the 3rd one in a box to prevent it getting attacked.

I want to take a new direction with my tank and thinking of adding up to an additional 9 ocellaris clownfish. Bringing my total to 12.

My tank is a 50g. with 2 anemones , torch and alveopora.
My anemones have not hosted any of my clowns yet or my clowns are way too scared.

My question:
My plan was to purchase another 3 next week and placing it all in the QT, and then into the DT. I will then purchase another 4 in a month after the previous batch has settled.
Or would it be better to add all 9 into the QT then into the DT?

Any tips on managing adding such a large amount and preventing aggression. Goal is for all of them to get along somehow, so tips are welcomed!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend that many clowns in a 50g. It's not enough room for a harem to coexist long term. You would need more real estate to help mitigate aggression. Additionally, I would always add all my clowns at once- doing so in a staggered manner only increases the risk of aggression. I would review the BRS videos on their clown harem tank- they have an episode of the mistakes they made and discuss how to successfully host a clown harem tank. If you like a print version, there are threads on RC discussing several other hobbyists who have attempted harem tanks in tanks larger than 75 gallons. Predictably, they run into the issues mentioned above.

AlexAbel197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be fine until they all start to hit breeding maturity at about 2 years of age and start to pair off and kill eachother

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Andre, you need to add all at once. Also it is recommended to add at least 15. I would also recommend much more anemones. Look up BRS clown harem tank or Google it and read the long threads. The way you're approaching it will likely get clowns killed and waste your money.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone. So i've decided to stick with a maximum of 6 in the tank.

I currently have 2 paired in the DT, with 1 in acclimation box to avoid any aggression.

I now have 3 new clownfish in my QT.

I'm still deciding on how to introduce the 3 any advice?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice given already is solid. You will likely have the same issues with 6 as you would with 9.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my main concern is how many anemones you have. I have 15 clowns and 15 anemones. 14 of the anemones are hosted. I also have a variety of anemones that they naturally host (magnifica, gigantea, haddoni. As well as BTAs and LTAs).

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back