New tank, Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride and Seachem Stability cycle?

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bc70221dd76815d9042cabae7708443c.jpg

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wreck lol wouldn't let me edit!

Hi all, been researching and see a lot of mix/different ways to cycle. First time using dry rock, 40 lbs dry seaflor special reef sand and 16lbs arag-live live Reef sand.l for my 40 Breeder.

Plan on using seachem stability with no hob filter cartridges, only heater and power heads and HOB running free with no light.

So I dose the dr tims to 2ppm which will show after 1-2 hours after dosing? Then add SC stability to absorb the AC and keep bacteria alive? When do I re-dose or do I re-dose the dr tims ammonia?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wreck lol wouldn't let me edit!

Hi all, been researching and see a lot of mix/different ways to cycle. First time using dry rock, 40 lbs dry seaflor special reef sand and 16lbs arag-live live Reef sand.l for my 40 Breeder.

Plan on using seachem stability with no hob filter cartridges, only heater and power heads and HOB running free with no light.

So I dose the dr tims to 2ppm which will show after 1-2 hours after dosing? Then add SC stability to absorb the AC and keep bacteria alive? When do I re-dose or do I re-dose the dr tims ammonia?

I'd dose the bacteria first, wait a few hours for them to settle, then do the first ammonia dose. You may not need more bacteria after that, but a little more won't hurt anything.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, should I leave the filter cartridges in on my penguin 350? Heard the bacteria likes to latch/grow and mix with oxygen on them.

They will, but I'm not sure that is bad. They will go other places too.

Wouldn't hurt to remove them for the first hours after dosing bacteria, however.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Stability regularly for setting up QT tanks. My advice is to be patient with it. I consistently get cloudy water due to what I assume is high concentration of heterotrophic bacteria in the mix. It may take 2-3 weeks to develop and typically takes off once the fish are established and I need to up their food intake. The only issue with that is it can lead to oxygen deprivation. Be sure to maintain a ton of water movement and keep the surface broken by a powerhead at all times.

I've experienced this each time I've used it (6+ times) but I still like the product. It's quite good at what it does but you have to be patient to make sure the side effects are controlled.

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Stability regularly for setting up QT tanks. My advice is to be patient with it. I consistently get cloudy water due to what I assume is high concentration of heterotrophic bacteria in the mix. It may take 2-3 weeks to develop and typically takes off once the fish are established and I need to up their food intake. The only issue with that is it can lead to oxygen deprivation. Be sure to maintain a ton of water movement and keep the surface broken by a powerhead at all times.

I've experienced this each time I've used it (6+ times) but I still like the product. It's quite good at what it does but you have to be patient to make sure the side effects are controlled.

Thank you! Haven't experienced cloudiness yet. Do have a koralia 850 with excellent surface movement.

OP
OP
S

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress! 8 days since 1st stability bacteria dose and 7 days since ammonia chloride dose

0 ammonia nitrite prob a little more than 5 and 20 ppm nitrate

7b6609a4440c8170e7afbf42a45821e6.jpg

Back