New tank issue.

maska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I just filled my new sc150 tank up to about 3/4 full and notice only one corner the silicone was pushing out past the glass. This tells me something is racked. So I check with the level again and its spot on level equally with the other corner. I built the stand myself and I am a carpenter so I knit picked the hell out of this thing. Also I have that 1inch insulation Mat down to smooth any inconsistencys. Even after emptying the tank it the silicone stayed pushed out. Not sure now what to do. I did email the fish tank company for advice on the corner. I've built stands way bigger than this in the past.. saddness..

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it pushed out before filling?
I have never seen dried silicone push out of a seam. Usually it pushes out before it cures while the tank is being made

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen dried silicone push out of a seam. Usually it pushes out before it cures while the tank is being made
The silicone bubbled on out side and the inside like a press.. I've had much longer tanks over my 18 years in the hobby never seen this. Checked the top of the tank, it's barely 1/8 out of square.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure to be honest. But the outside silicone all the way down made one long bubble effect as well as the inside. The top corners looked all square except that one corner. After I emptied the tank the top was 1/8 out of square.

OP
OP
M

maska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's not a bigger issue than it seems. Best of luck!!
Hopefully not. Doesn't make sense. To be honest I've never used 1 inch insulation mat before because I never had a flat bottom tank. The company recommend that I use it. But I did notice the leveling was off tilt horizontally as I filled it due to the mat. That being said I read the level there should be no way this corner should fail being 3/32 off... literally

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully not. Doesn't make sense. To be honest I've never used 1 inch insulation mat before because I never had a flat bottom tank. The company recommend that I use it. But I did notice the leveling was off tilt horizontally as I filled it due to the mat. That being said I read the level there should be no way this corner should fail being 3/32 off... literally
I don't see it failing. All of my big tanks have had a border around the glass on the bottom. My wife got a IM Nuvo Fusion 10g recently and it came with a flat bottom and a mat. I wasn't used to dealing with that. This hobby definitely evolves.

OP
OP
M

maska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see it failing. All of my big tanks have had a border around the glass on the bottom. My wife got a IM Nuvo Fusion 10g recently and it came with a flat bottom and a mat. I wasn't used to dealing with that. This hobby definitely evolves.

16120614673612771935038439768782.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back