New tank need help

clowny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a 16G Biocube. It was 500 with live sand/all the other ****. i dont have a protein skimmer as i was told i dont need one. I have one maroon clown and plan on getting rid of him and getting two designer clowns when tank is fully cycled. Its been running for two weeks and nothing other then some brown algae on the sand at bottom i think because i only had blue light on cuz no corals. now i have it running like it would with corals but ive heard normally people have more algae and i havent encountered it. should i get a protein skimmer? i have the money i still have around 500 to spend (1000 was what im coftorable spending.) also currently i have 9 lbs of rock and a starfish was in one of the rocks. is that lucky? when i saw it i was shocked. oh also is there any way to avoid algae/keep my water clear? thats why i moved to salt from fresh the water stays cleaner and smells better overall. HOW DO I KEEP MY TANK AND WATER ALWAYS LOOKING GOOD?

please try to answer my Q's
THANKS

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef

I agree with your assessment of a maroon. I also agree with the two smaller clowns and youll be much happier with them.
IMG_20191119_223714_01.gif

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r!
16.5 is not alot of space so if you decide on clowns be aware u might not be able to add much more without territory issues.
The star is probably asternia some eat coral some do not. Hard to tell the difference.
If u want clear water def invest in the best skimmer u can fit, actively run carbon. Keeping on top of your husbandry will determine water quality.
And not sure why youd think saltwater was cleaner or easier, or smelled better....wait til you smell skimmate..lol...but in time youll find your rythym .
Hope this helps!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back