New tank. Rust colored algae and aiptasia

BDeVaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a tank about 2 and a half weeks old. I've gotten some rust colored algae and a little bit of aiptasia (small dudes). I've been told to nip this in the bud. I bought a peppermint shrimp today but im afraid it will not be able to get to all of the aiptasia due to the location on some rocks. I'm looking for the best possible way to put an end to this stuff quick. I'd rather get rid of it now then down the road. Any suggestions on good reliable methods that will not hurt any of the 3 fish I have in the tank?

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said the tank is only 2 weeks old and has 3 fish in it already? That's to many fish to soon.did you cycle the tank? and that rusty lookin algea is diotoms it's completely normal in new tanks and will go away on its own.normally takes around 3 weeks to go away completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
OP
B

BDeVaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been ok for fish since after the first week. I added a decent amount of live rock and bacteria into the tank when i started it. The fish are healthy and fine. I had also taken a sample of water to 2 different fish stores for testing before adding the fish.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A one week cycle is very quick but it's possible.the bacteria in a bottle doesn't help anything really.And if you don't have your own test kits you wouldn't of known if your cycle even started,If you took a water sample to your lfs once during the cycle and the test came back good doesn't mean that the cycle was finished.But of course the fish store will tell you it's safe because they need to make a dollar lol.I would get test kits ASAP just to be safe you never want to rely on your lfs.And when add a fish you want to wait at least a couple weeks before adding another one because the bacteria needs to catch up on the new bio load otherwise you will get ammonia spikes

Last edited:

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember nothing good happens fast in this hobby,take your time and you will have less problems and enjoy your tank more.Keep us updated!

OP
OP
B

BDeVaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have test kits for: pH, salinity, carbonic hardness, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates. Have had them since day 1 and I check the parameters that I can test for at least once a day. I brought them to the LFS' for more accurate checks because they have things like refracto meters and digital pH readers that I simply cannot afford

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off your going too fast as many have said - even with the bacteria and live rock, tanks need a bit of time to cycle properly
Second if you have aptasia on your rock I would take it out and cure it. There are many methods but the basic idea is a dark bucket, a pump, and a few water changes over a month or so. This will kill off any bad stuff but keep the bacteria alive. You do not want to start off with a problem that you'll be dealing with for a long time. Better to start slow and do it right.
Third it seems like some of the advice you have been getting is a bit off. Could be that your listening to the LFS that sold you live rock with aptasia on it. Seek better council and slow down.

JMO and its your tank though, so ...

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have test kits for: pH, salinity, carbonic hardness, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates. Have had them since day 1 and I check the parameters that I can test for at least once a day. I brought them to the LFS' for more accurate checks because they have things like refracto meters and digital pH readers that I simply cannot afford

A bit off topic, but I just bought my refractometer on amazon for 24 bucks.. works great. Same seller sent me some solution as well.. hard case and all. Might want to check out your amazon ebay options - marinedepot and thatpetplace always have cheaper solutions too on their websites. Good luck :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back