New Tank Stock List

k_langley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently moved back to my home town, and my dad and I decided to get into reefing. We finished going through the 52 weeks of reefing series, just got our tank, and our dry rock is in transit. Even though adding fish is really far off, I've started working on a rough draft of my stock list. I've really only had experience stocking freshwater tanks, and I know stocking a reef is a whole different animal, so I was hoping to get some feedback on my first draft. Our tank is a SCA 66 gallon, and I've really been attracted to the minimalist style of aquascaping, so a lot of the live rock will be in the 20 gallon sump, leaving a lot of open water. 1o gallons of the sump will be a fuge with assorted macro algae and live rock as I'm planning on running triton.

Anyway here's the first draft:

1x occelaris and anemone
1x Yasha Goby and Pistol Shrimp OR 1x bluespot jawfish
2x purple firefish
1x exquisite fairy wrasse
1x cleaner shrimp

and wayyyyyyy in the future

1x biota captive bred mandarin dragonet

(also while I was at my LFS I was admiring a Sargassum trigger (I know they're way too big as adults) and the man working indicated that if I got one around 1 - 2", they grow so slowly that I could likely keep it for a while. Is this true? I'd hate to stress it and the other inhabitants. If it was ok I think I'd swap it for the fairy wrasse.)

I tried to choose species that would occupy different parts of the tank, but I'm afraid it's too much. Let me know what you think!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really seem like you're on top of everything. #1 thing I recommend is watching BRS' 52 weeks of reefing, which you've done, so it seems like you're well on the way to success.

As for your stocking, I think your list looks good except that I'd probably only go with one firefish. You can end up with a pair, but what I've read is that it seems way more difficult than pairing clowns, and if they don't pair they'll kill each other.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the firefish, unless you buy a bonded pair. Also, the anemone should be way into the future as well.

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the nem I say you can add it around the 3 month marker. I've had success with this so it's my opinon. And I plus one the firefish!

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say it's all good as far as stocking, as far as the fire fish idk about only one. I used to have two that I got from my lfs but I'm not that knowledgeable on them because they died two weeks later after I made a stupid blunder.

Also, make sure you have a lid. If fire fish and jaw fish don't have a dart whole, they tend to be jumpers. For the same reason, I would add them first

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Anyone know anything about the juvenile trigger?
I find I get attached to my fish and wouldn't want to plan on giving one away. So I, personally, wouldn't get a fish that needs to be rehomed later.
The nem needs stable parameters. That might be at the 3 months mark, it might be later depending on if you start dry or with live rock and what other things happen in your tank. You can add the clown/nem at any time. If you get two clowns get them at the same time and one larger than the other. my RBTA is pretty tough and my clowns are close to indestructible.
Add the firefish first if possible, and get a QT tank. Even a 10 gallon with some decorations/hiding spot will work. In the long run it is almost guaranteed to save your live stock
You can probably add more fish than you list too, but after reading the forums you will want them ALL. :eek:
If you have a "must have" fish like the mandarin then build the tank and inhabitants for that fish. All fish eat pods, but there are some that eat a lot more pods than others. Limit your fish choice to keep as many pods available.
You might also want to consider adding a herbivore like a tail spot blenny.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back