OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, here’s a video of an Australian guy explaining what happens when fish are stressed:

In a nutshell, they devote all of their energy to their most basic life sustaining functions, leading to a “drain” in capacity for their other bodily functions including the immune system.

Thank you for that! I think I have decided to bring the puffer to the LFS because he will be better off in a more suited tank for him. I know it sounds weird but I get attached to my fish and hate giving him up!

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re far from alone! It would pain me to lose a single fish under my care, because I want to love and care for them will all my heart and strength. I truly believe they’re creatures of God’s design.
They sure are, which is why this is so upsetting that I keep losing my fish when I (felt like) I was doing my best! Now I know and have many suggestions to help my tank and my fish!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, here’s a video of an Australian guy explaining what happens when fish are stressed:

Thats what I believe and have been saying that for decades and is my main method.

Thank you so much for your help! This definitely is a learning curve for me for sure. I will try to leave it alone. I feel like maybe I try to keep it "too clean" and don't let the bacteria build up so I will definitely cut the water change in half and leave the filter be for awhile. Thank you!

Manda0597, to put that into perspective, I add mud to my tank from the sea. I used to add garden soil and my fish have never been sick or quarantined and the tank is almost fifty years old.

I believe it is the bacteria in the "dirt" that is part of that reason for health and the other part is to add some live food like worms because of the bacteria in their gut.

But for now, just help the bacteria get stabilized and that takes time no matter what you do, but additives can make that time longer.
Good luck

OP
OP
Manda0597

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I believe and have been saying that for decades and is my main method.

Manda0597, to put that into perspective, I add mud to my tank from the sea. I used to add garden soil and my fish have never been sick or quarantined and the tank is almost fifty years old.

I believe it is the bacteria in the "dirt" that is part of that reason for health and the other part is to add some live food like worms because of the bacteria in their gut.

But for now, just help the bacteria get stabilized and that takes time no matter what you do, but additives can make that time longer.
Good luck
Thank you very much! Sorry I am so novice at this, but I am learning! I am doing many things differently with my 90 gallon tank. @Paul B would you suggets putting "mud" from the ocean in my new tank to give it a jump start?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if you live near the sea. But remember 97.37% of the people will disagree with that. :cool:

Just take a few tablespoons of it and scatter it around. But don't tell anyone.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if you live near the sea. But remember 97.37% of the people will disagree with that. :cool:

Just take a few tablespoons of it and scatter it around. But don't tell anyone.
What do is considered mud? Can you get that at the beach or do need to find a bay to collect mud? I live not far from the beach here in San Diego but all I see is sand!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you consider this forum, they'd handle your situation by fallow then quarantine protocols...and, thats a lot of tanks being fixed by the matter too

highest percentage of disease prevention across any 20 reefs setup compared to any method.

there is certainly more than one way to mitigate fish disease in reefing agreed, strong feed and biological support is always ideal.

disease vectoring due to no fallow prep would present at least in that forum as a strong factor.

Its not new tank syndrome, whats happening can happen in a tank at any age.

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I have been saying the same thing also. The first time I picked up on this was about a decade ago when my Hippo Tang and Powder Blue Tang suddenly started to go after each other after years of semi peaceful habitation. This lasted for about a week and I had not put any new fish in the Tank for at least two years and yet both fish suddenly came down with Ick. They eventually slowed down the aggression like tired boxers and several days later the Ick was gone. I never used any chemicals in my tank and no other fish in the Tank caught the Ick.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use mud. Here in New York we have a lot of mud but in California I am not sure where to get that so you may have to use some rocks you find in a bay. You can add them for a week or two and remove them. Of course if you like the way they look, you can leave them there.
Only use rocks that you feel have been submerged for many years. Some rocks that were used for fill or to prevent erosion may have metals or other things in them you don't want.

It's mostly bacteria you want.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back