New tank syndrome???

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would my tank have a yellow dirty looking tint to it? Started the cycle 1 week ago. Added Dr. Tim's one and only and been dosing Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride a little at a time every other day and checking pH, nitrites and nitrates in between. For some reason it looks like there is a film on the inside of the glass that is light yellow in color. Almost "dirty" looking. Is this normal? The water is not cloudy just looks like a film on the glass.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would my tank have a yellow dirty looking tint to it? Started the cycle 1 week ago. Added Dr. Tim's one and only and been dosing Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride a little at a time every other day and checking pH, nitrites and nitrates in between. For some reason it looks like there is a film on the inside of the glass that is light yellow in color. Almost "dirty" looking. Is this normal? The water is not cloudy just looks like a film on the glass.

The film coating could be Dr. Tim's one and only bacteria, collecting on your glass.

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow or smelly water can usually be fixed with carbon. You probably don't need a reactor and won't unless you have a huge tank (225g+). As simple media bag with high quality carbon placed in a high flow area of your sump/filter chamber will suffice

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a powerhead running for flow and surface agitation?

nick_md

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep things simple but I always have a bag of carbon in my sump. Seems essential to me to keep the water crystal clear.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Several things can cause this. Tank appears too new for a skimmer to help with it.
If the ammonia or nitrite levels are elevated, then the biologicals or natural bacteria in the tank are not stabilized sufficiently to keep toxins in check. test the ammonia and nitrate levels. Hopefully youre not using an API test kit. . .. You may get false readings.
Organics will cause this also. Vacuum the gravel and make sure the filter is running at a normal output. If the filter is slow, odds are it's clogged with debris, which is another potential source of organics.
water source can be an issue also. . . Assure water is clear as you are adding it to the tank.
Blooms can also cause this whereas algae is trying to form and causing such tint.
Over carbon, I would do a slight water change and add chemipure elite which comes in a pouch which will lower any toxins, keep nitrate in check and polish your water.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several things can cause this. Tank appears too new for a skimmer to help with it.
If the ammonia or nitrite levels are elevated, then the biologicals or natural bacteria in the tank are not stabilized sufficiently to keep toxins in check. test the ammonia and nitrate levels. Hopefully youre not using an API test kit. . .. You may get false readings.
Organics will cause this also. Vacuum the gravel and make sure the filter is running at a normal output. If the filter is slow, odds are it's clogged with debris, which is another potential source of organics.
water source can be an issue also. . . Assure water is clear as you are adding it to the tank.
Blooms can also cause this whereas algae is trying to form and causing such tint.
Over carbon, I would do a slight water change and add chemipure elite which comes in a pouch which will lower any toxins, keep nitrate in check and polish your water.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
The tank hasn't even cycled for 14 days yet. Should I let it ride for now and see what happens? We aren't running the skimmer just yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back