New tank today!

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, @AquariumDani !

Good start it sounds like. Your salinity isn't too overly high and an easy fix (remove some saltwater and add in RO water...probably half gallon swap would bring you in line). Nitrates of 5 ppm aren't bad at all. I think that's a great range even with most corals.

When thinking of upgrading, think less in terms of gallons and more about functionality. For instance, if you decide you really like tangs, a 6 foot tank is much better than 4 feet. For visual appeal and aquascaping potential, extra width from front to back is so much better than going taller. When I went from 18" wide to 24" wide, it really opened things up. I wish I had gone even wider. Height is the least important in my opinion, as fish tend to swim more laterally than up and down.

Buy quality equipment the first time, even if it means having to delay a purchase. It's best to buy powerheads or pumps or a skimmer that can scale up with your tank upgrade versus having to buy those items twice. This isn't always possible but there's tons of good people on this site that can help you plan out a future upgrade the most efficiently way possible!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquariumDani

AquariumDani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!!!!

This is my tank! The levels:
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Very close to 0
Salinity: 1.025

Can I start adding fish?
Btw - Cloudy because I just did a water change and the sand is now settling.

2C47C906-789F-43DF-B620-B61D8D3709FC.jpeg

abraha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Based on the water parameters it seems like your tank is ready for fish.
I would highly recommend an RO DI unit at home, it will make your life a lot easier and your fish/corals will thank you.

Frank Bear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Si I biu
Hello!

My name is Dani. I am a 22 year old female who just started her first tank 2 hours ago! I am a full time graduate student (4 class, 4 hours, 4 days), and have a 25 hour fellowship. I will be graduating in May 2019. The tank is 20G with about 30lbs live sand and 25 lbs live rock. Once the sand settles, I will be starting the cycling process!

Future aspirations:
I’ve already started thinking fish (I know, early. But excited!):
-Pair of clown fish (basic :p)
-1 Firefish
-Clean up crew (undecided. Figured the nearby LFS would help me when it’s time to add these guys) And I’ll be sure to add them first!
-I eventually want to move from FOWLR to a reef tank. Can I have fish and corals in a 20g?
-I am hoping by August I will be upgrading my tank. I am still debating if I want to gradually get bigger (20g, 55g, 75g, 100g) or take the leap in August and go to 100g.

If you have any tips moving forward, please let me know!! As well, if you have favorite equipment or set ups - I’d love to know about them!
a use 100gal and started to set it up for a reef tank and very quickly realized the work and risk of losing things, we decided to go ahead a do the 200 corner reef tank. It was expensive but so is losing corals. Also I set it up to handle a 300 gallon tank so no worries there. Just my opinion

Hybrid Ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston....we have a new member. Lots and lots of pictures of your tank that way we can steal your ideas...lol (I have to come up with a name for my mascot other then Mr. Flying fish. The flying and fish combine my rocketry hobby with my fish keeping hobby)

Flying Fish.jpg

Hybrid Ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at fish at local LFS, are how dirty the tanks are, normal?

6ACD8486-7EA2-4F2A-BCEC-EF4DC8723CB5.jpeg

1A1BD483-76FF-4742-A19F-C27A643BB552.jpeg

Looks about normal for most shops. If the fish don't look stressed and I see nothing dead in the tank I normally don't worry. I do insist on seeing the fish eat and I spend a long time watching how it behaves (why I never take any one fish shopping with me as I have watched a fish for two hours one time) including looking at it with a magnifying glass if possible for parasites ect.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see anything worth $ 60, but do see some potential problems. Is this your only LFS?

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back