New tank transfer

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’m going to be upgrading the size of my tank and would like to know if I should quarantine my 3 corals and about 15 CUC members before doing so?
I had an unfortunate Uronema outbreak in my tank followed by an aiptasia invasion on my rock.
I fear the water retained inside the snail and conch shells could spill into my new setup. I also only have a watchman goby;
Can I quarantine everything together? If so, is there a specific method to what I should do? Thank you,
Have a great weekend

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since you added anything to your tank? Uronemia has a direct life cycle meaning it can complete it's life cycle on a fish (very diffferent from ich that has to drop off fish). As long as you have a fish in your system you can have uronemia and it can be introduced any time you add a fish. With these unkowns, I wait a few months after symptoms dissapear and without adding anything before moving stuff but don't quarantine per se. You might do a search online looking at vetenary sights or do a search here with "Uronemia" and "Jay Hemdal" for more info.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since you added anything to your tank? Uronemia has a direct life cycle meaning it can complete it's life cycle on a fish (very diffferent from ich that has to drop off fish). As long as you have a fish in your system you can have uronemia and it can be introduced any time you add a fish. With these unkowns, I wait a few months after symptoms dissapear and without adding anything before moving stuff but don't quarantine per se. You might do a search online looking at vetenary sights or do a search here with "Uronemia" and "Jay Hemdal" for more info.
I have no direct experience with uranoma, but everything I've read on here seems to state that once you've got uranoma in a system even fishless, It can maintain its population. I don't believe there is a fallow . That is effective against uranoma.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing I added was replacement CUC since a couple of snails died along the way.

I was also under the impression where Uronema can be present in the water column or the filter / Sump.
I had a scare with the goby but after removing him and treating in QT, he’s since recovered and placed back in my DT.
Tank is only 3 months old.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no direct experience with uranoma, but everything I've read on here seems to state that once you've got uranoma in a system even fishless, It can maintain its population. I don't believe there is a fallow . That is effective against uranoma.

I never said go fallow, I said I wait a few months. From what I've seen over the decades I've been maintaining reef ssytems is uronemia is a secondary infection that takes hold when a fish is stressed or has some other problem. I rarely see what I would consider the symptoms indicative of uronemia and some fish have recovered not to show signs again and some have appeared to die from it. I'm pretty sure I've had systems that had subclincal levels but the fish were healthy and did not show any signs.

FWIW, whenever I have unexpected problems that don't have an obvious cause I always will try to wait months before adding anything and ideally wait months again before removing anything. A lot of the diseases corals and fish have are present when we get them. It's stress of some type that lets the pathogen(s) start to proliferate and cause obvious symptoms.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m upgrading my tank, would it be ok to transfer the corals, CUC and rock or should I quarantine them for a certain period ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back