New Tank Water Is Brown! But No Signs Of An Algae Bloom. What Should I Do?

ThatYellowFJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m pretty new to reefing and i’m eager to learn more. I just got this 30 gallon aquarium a little under a month ago, started the cycle with Dr. Tims one and only with ammonia and followed the instructions. It started really good, until now, or so I think. I seem to have some sort of water problem or water issue. The water is crystal clear but its brown in color. Why is this? I see no diatoms present so i’m a little confused. What could it be? My ammonia is good but my nitrite and nitrate are super high - 5.0 ppm and 160 ppm. pH is a little low at the 7.8-8.0 range, salinity is in a good range for most fish. For some context, I bought Carib-Sea sand and live rock. Thanks for the help.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is crystal clear but its brown in color. Why is this?
Crystal clear and brown? Do you have wood in your tank? Pictures might help.

Are you using RODI for top off water?

Did you start the tank mixing your own salt with RODI?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrite and nitrate are super high - 5.0 ppm and 160 ppm.
Test kit will give a false reading for nitrate because your nitrites are still high. If you followed the dr Tim’s directions, it’s highly likely you overdosed ammonia. Large(50%) water change will help.

OP
OP
T

ThatYellowFJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crystal clear and brown? Do you have wood in your tank? Pictures might help.

Are you using RODI for top off water?

Did you start the tank mixing your own salt with RODI?
I do not have a RODI system yet, I am using a bottles solution that supposedly makes tap water safe. When I first added the saltwater to the tank I did use the solution. How do you guys add pictures on here?

OP
OP
T

ThatYellowFJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kit will give a false reading for nitrate because your nitrites are still high. If you followed the dr Tim’s directions, it’s highly likely you overdosed ammonia. Large(50%) water change will help.
I will have been thinking about doing a water change, but don’t want to ruin anything or stall the cycle. Would a big water change do that?

OP
OP
T

ThatYellowFJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a RODI system yet, I am using a bottles solution that supposedly makes tap water safe. When I first added the saltwater to the tank I did use the solution. How do you guys add pictures on here?
Nevermind - Found the way haha

Attachments

• 361E2BF9-9219-4A13-B717-032895D8DB67.jpeg
    361E2BF9-9219-4A13-B717-032895D8DB67.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
T

ThatYellowFJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With nitrates at 160 it's time to do multiple large water changes and add some activated carbon to your filtration.
I am running a Eheim Pro 4+ 250, not a sump as of now. I do have media baskets but only have what they came with inside of them - some ceramic balls and tiny plastic tubes. Since I am in the process of cycling, can I change the media and if I can will it stall the cycle?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will have been thinking about doing a water change, but don’t want to ruin anything or stall the cycle. Would a big water change do that?
No, almost all of your bacteria are adhered to surfaces and live inside your rock. Sand also. You could change all your water and still be ok! The media in your filter is also full of bacteria.

I would do the water change and add some activated carbon into one of the chambers in the filter. Chemi pure makes small pouches of carbon that might be perfect for you.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't any additive that makes tap water safe. It might help one aspect, but not all.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Eheim Pro 4+ 250, not a sump as of now. I do have media baskets but only have what they came with inside of them - some ceramic balls and tiny plastic tubes. Since I am in the process of cycling, can I change the media and if I can will it stall the cycle?
Your cycle is done. Get an RODI system or purchase water from your LFS. Do a 100% water change if possible or as close to it as you can get.

OP
OP
T

ThatYellowFJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, almost all of your bacteria are adhered to surfaces and live inside your rock. Sand also. You could change all your water and still be ok! The media in your filter is also full of bacteria.

I would do the water change and add some activated carbon into one of the chambers in the filter. Chemi pure makes small pouches of carbon that might be perfect for you.
I’ll do that in the coming days and keep you guys updated. In additon to the carbon, should I change the other media to something “better” ? What chamber would I add the carbon into? Sorry for all the questions.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would be a wise investment to get a RODI system or buy RODI water?
Absolutely. While additives may remove chlorine it still leaves silicate, copper and who knows what else.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R BTW. Don't get discouraged or overwhelmed. We'll help you through any issues that come up.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit, it's a little weird that I'll drink tap water with no issue. However I would never allow it in my fish tank lol. The problem is that you just don't know what's in it. Copper, silicate, ammonia, fluoride, etc... all things I don't want near my inhabitants.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would be a wise investment to get a RODI system or buy RODI water?
Yes, get one as soon as possible. Distilled water is an option also until you get a RODI unit.
What chamber would I add the carbon into? Sorry for all the questions.
Does not matter too much. As long as it’s in contact with your water flow, it will take stuff out.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would strongly recommend getting an RO Unit to start making your saltwater. There are so many unknowns in tap water that it is best to get that number down to zero TDS or close to it. This would be your first step. Once you are making good clean saltwater then we would recommend doing a string of 50% water changes every 3-4 days for a total of three 50% water changes. By doing that you will have nearly all new saltwater in your sytem. (The good water made with your RO unit.) Once you do that a recommended water change of 10% every week is always a great thing to do for your reef tank.

Your tank will look ugly and gross for a few months. Just keep at it and it will pull through. We cannot stress enough that it is much better to start with great clean water. RO water in our opinion is a must.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back