New tank why do you think about no extra bracing at the bottom?

larryl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m picking up a used tank that is rimless and has no bottom glass for extra support. Do you think the tank will be good holding water for years without the extra glass? Even with MP10’s?

4A9F3BA4-68A4-44F9-A954-B3B9B0FA9BE4.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single layer glass is OK, just make sure you have a perfectly level stand and that there is a thin foam material between it and the glass (incase there are any imperfections in the stop of the stand.

Some people purchase the thin yoga mats and cut to size. That would work fine.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not following - what 'extra glass' are you talking about?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I see remnant silicone on the upper lip of this tank....maybe from a frame or Euro-bracing? Here's my two cents....if it originally had a frame/bracing, I wouldn't use it until that supporting structure was restored. Otherwise, good to go.

Last edited:

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I see remnant silicone on the upper lip of this tank....maybe from a frame or Euro-bracing? Here's my two cents....if it originally had a frame/bracing, I would use it until that supporting structure was restored. Otherwise, good to go.
Good catch..

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, the tank looks fine to me. From the photo, I can't say, but it looks like it might have had a rim at one point. If so, you might see if you can get new rims from the maker and silicone them back on.

It's less of an issue with smaller tanks. If those are 4x6 pavers, that tank is what 14" x 10"?

Eh. I'd fill it up and see if it holds water overnight.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe he's thinking of a bottom eurobrace?

Yeah good point, maybe so. Wholly unnecessary on a tank of this size of course. Good spot on the top rim. Something was removed.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions are 36x18x18 and my reef savvy had extra glass or euro bracing on the bottom.
Bigger than it looks in the photo. 36 x 18 x 18 would make it a 40g breeder tank. Much bigger than what I took it for, I'd not trust it without a frame.

Reef Savvy is a top quality manufacturer. Most makers don't come close to their quality. This one appears to have had a plastic rim, like you'd find on most any generic tank, around the top and bottom. Aqueon, Marineland, or Deep Blue most likely.

You might be able to get a new frame from one of those makers, but I'd doubt it. 40 breeder is a common size, you might find a broken one locally that you can steal a frame from. Place called 'Over the Edge' makes replacement frames. They're the only ones I know of, reasonable, but not cheap.

On a tank that big, I'd definitely replace the frame before filling it. A popped seam is a huge mess, just wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I see remnant silicone on the upper lip of this tank....maybe from a frame or Euro-bracing? Here's my two cents....if it originally had a frame/bracing, I wouldn't use it until that supporting structure was restored. Otherwise, good to go.

Yes this is HUGE.

If it was BUILT with a brace, than it was designed to have that brace for structural support... If you remove that, it's a hazard.

Ask the guy what he did with it. And honestly, if you have some glass laying around, put on a eurobrace yourself. It makes a huge difference in structural integrity and barely gets in the way of lighting.

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger than it looks in the photo. 36 x 18 x 18 would make it a 40g breeder tank. Much bigger than what I took it for, I'd not trust it without a frame.

Reef Savvy is a top quality manufacturer. Most makers don't come close to their quality. This one appears to have had a plastic rim, like you'd find on most any generic tank, around the top and bottom. Aqueon, Marineland, or Deep Blue most likely.

You might be able to get a new frame from one of those makers, but I'd doubt it. 40 breeder is a common size, you might find a broken one locally that you can steal a frame from. Place called 'Over the Edge' makes replacement frames. They're the only ones I know of, reasonable, but not cheap.

On a tank that big, I'd definitely replace the frame before filling it. A popped seam is a huge mess, just wouldn't be worth the risk to me.

I happened to notice Glasscages sells black frames. Not sure if that helps.

What is the glass thickness?

OP
OP
larryl

larryl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to the seller it was built rimless and he stated no need for extra bracing at the bottom. Fingers crossed I hope it holds water and doesn't leak.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If in an earthquake common area. Would look up required eurobracing. Maybe 1/2” thick 2.5”-3” long. If siliconed inside does not detract from front viewing. Most local glass shops would only be around $75-$125

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back