New to Acans

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently bought an acan at a crappy fishstore because everything was dying in the tank it was being held in and it was way to gorgeous for me to just leave it there. I dipped it when I got home and added it to the tank. I've been using a polyp signaler and reefriods (both from polyp lab) to try to get it to eat but I haven't seen it extend its feeding tentacles. So, I am wondering if it looks healthy to someone more experienced with this coral. Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of acan this is. Finally, any tips/tricks to caring for this coral would be very helpful.

Thanks!

IMG_2848.JPG

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not fully plump but it looks ok and with some time will be very plush. Good rescue. Love me some acans

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me! I find those little tentacles come out with blue light/no light. From what I've read, I think they feed mainly at night. I have a garden in my little nano, back in the corner of the tank. Moderate light, low/moderate flow, and they LOVE it there for now!

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are the Bowerbanki and they don’t like a lot of flow had to move mine around to find the right spot for them. Tentacles come out a little during the day but at night they are in full force.
F9557A11-68B8-4416-BC3E-EE263EAEF3F1.jpeg

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me! I find those little tentacles come out with blue light/no light. From what I've read, I think they feed mainly at night. I have a garden in my little nano, back in the corner of the tank. Moderate light, low/moderate flow, and they LOVE it there for now!
do you have them under a rock overhang or something? I have them in the bottom left part of my biocube and idk if its too much light

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding acans is awesome. I love feeding lps. I dose redsea ab plus. Phyto and once abs while reef roofs

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya totally. Dont over.feed but.some mysis to an lps is awsome. Brain coral. Look at open and closed brain corals.
When you feed the tank or fish you will most likely see your coral.start to catch em and eat em too.
Your shrimp and other little critters will run over to get the snacks before your coral digest it. Lol.

You can turkey baster some lightly in their direction.
D

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya totally. Dont over.feed but.some mysis to an lps is awsome. Brain coral. Look at open and closed brain corals.
When you feed the tank or fish you will most likely see your coral.start to catch em and eat em too.
Your shrimp and other little critters will run over to get the snacks before your coral digest it. Lol.

You can turkey baster some lightly in their direction.
D
Awesome thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back