New to apex and temp data worrying me while I'm on vacation

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so I got an apex right before I went away on vacation and prior to this I was monitoring my temp with a digital thermometer and a glass thermometer. So I've been away for a few days and I'm noticing that my temperature spikes during mid day and also that my heater hasn't been turning on really because something else is keeping my tank warm. My min temp is 77.5 and my Max temp is 78.5, so my heater maybe turns on once a day for like 30 minutes and the rest of the day my temp is supposedly fine according to my apex so it keeps my heater off. Should I be worried or is this normal? Also are these flucuations bad for my tank? Thanks!

Screenshot_20190709-082010.png

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2* swing and a max of 79.4* is nothing to worry about. Here's a good article that might help alleviate your concerns http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

Did you set your house AC a little warmer since you'd be gone? Mine can't keep the house as cold as I'd like when it's 95*+ here so my tank runs a little warmer during the summer.

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 degree Fahrenheit is a spike now?
You are familiarizing yourself with this new, complex equipment while on vacation?

If there was something wrong, is there someone available to do anything about it? (if you just installed the APEX before leaving for vacation, what are they really going to do?)

Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A 2* swing and a max of 79.4* is nothing to worry about. Here's a good article that might help alleviate your concerns http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html

Did you set your house AC a little warmer since you'd be gone? Mine can't keep the house as cold as I'd like when it's 95*+ here so my tank runs a little warmer during the summer.

Your AC being set higher while on vacation is the first thing that came to mind. In a perfect world, if you set your house AC to 79, technically your tank would stabilize to that temperature (in the summer at least) and your heater should never turn on.

Because of pumps, power heads, lights, etc. which add heat to our tanks, you’d technically need a chiller not a heater in this situation.

If it were 20 degrees outside and your house temp was set to 65 degrees, then I’d be worried about your heater not turning on.

I run my system based on my apex temp sensor in my sump. It runs heaters and fans to chill. I have found that it keeps my temp table and my heater doesn’t run much in the summer.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house AC runs at 75-76. But with lights and pumps, my tanks want to go above 79. Cooling fans controlled by Apex keep it from going any higher.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a major swing.

In the future I would avoid installing new equipment before going out of town. The equipment can wait for you to get back. I like to have any new changes set in for at least 2 weeks before leaving the tank.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back