New To Clam's

Sharkbiter

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2014
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Topeka, KS
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I have several medium sized hermit crabs in my D.T. I have recently added a SMALL Maxima clam, about 1.5 inches long at the base. My hermits pick over the shell of the clam. They never pick at the mantle but they move it around in the tank and leave it laying on it's side. How can I stop this? Anyone else had this problem? I have it sitting on the sand bed of my 125 D.T. right now.

Thanks
 
Not sure there's any way to stop your hermits other than to remove them, but I advise you put a piece of rock rubble under the clam so that the clam will attach to the rock; that way the hermits will not be able to topple the clam over. Having the clam attached to a sturdy piece of rock will also enable you to move the clam around your display to find the best location. Maximas generally like to be attached to the rock work. Good luck!
 
This will happen for a day or two and then they will generally leave it alone. They smell new stuff on the shell so try to forage for food.
 
I generally put a rock or something to hold the clam in an upright position, maybe against some near by rocks or something. After a while the clam MAY attach or settle to how it likes.
I had this curved rock once, like a u shape, and i placed it on the sand in front of the clam to prop the clam in that angle and one day I saw the clam opened so much it broke the rock in half. I was shocked. Clam stood in the same place just wanted my breathing room between itself and the rock...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new