New to Copperband Butterfly

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your copperband going?

Great! One of the two is in my 180 eating prepared foods very nicely, and I have noticed two aiptasia gone which must be him! The other is done with QT but in a holding tank because the other was nipping on him :( trying to sell that one currently.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I need a cooper-band and want to learn as much as possible before I pull the trigger.
If you do decide to purchase a copperband, ensure you have all meds ready.

Not going to play in the QT or no QT sand bed however if you are doing fresh water dips or baths (yes, they are different) please check out Bob Fenner's "Dips/Baths, A Useful Protocol for Excluding Many External Fish Parasites" article on Wet Web Media. Specifically pay attention to Methylene blue. Takes freshwater dips to a whole new level for both fish and hobbyist by reducing stress to both parties :D

If I was to put another CBB into my display my first priority would be to find one locally so I can visually inspect. If not local then via online source with similar access (email photos). Check weather if shipping and plan accordingly then purchase. Next day/morning prep 2 x RO/DI water buckets, match ph, add Methylene blue to 1, room temp, equalize CBB, timer, and bath begins. During bath checking CBB frequently through the first 15 minutes. If fish is doing well decide if I want to run to 30 minute bath or stop at 15. Once dip/bath is done using a gloved hand gently remove CBB and rinse in 2nd RO/DI bucket and then place into display with lights out.

TL;DR: To quote Mr. Fenner: "Methylene blue is a good oxygenating dye, sort of like our blood's hemoglobin, aiding in keeping oxygen concentration high".
I'm going to give it another crack. Whilst I am waiting for a good copperband to arrive at the LFS I will want to prepare.
I have decided to go through my post and seeing what other feedback looks suitable.

I am interested the methlene blue method, and will be having a read soon. Have you had any success with this?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do decide to purchase a copperband, ensure you have all meds ready.

I'm going to give it another crack. Whilst I am waiting for a good copperband to arrive at the LFS I will want to prepare.
I have decided to go through my post and seeing what other feedback looks suitable.

I am interested the methlene blue method, and will be having a read soon. Have you had any success with this?

You should always have all meds on hand for any fish in QT, cbb or not. :)

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a final update from me everyone.

I went ahead and purchased my third copperband! My first 2 went into a QT. My third one which I got 2 days ago, I placed directly into the DT after using the formalin and methylne blue dipping method.

After 3 hours in the tank getting very curious with its new surroundings (with a lot of live rock), it ate and felt right at home! Eat's cleaned up all my small aiptasia in 1 day. He's looking very healthy and I really couldn't be happier. Although it's only been 2 days, its better in its natural environment and a bigger tank, rather than a small QT.

Fingers crossed, and really hope to see this little fella make it through!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a final update from me everyone.

I went ahead and purchased my third copperband! My first 2 went into a QT. My third one which I got 2 days ago, I placed directly into the DT after using the formalin and methylne blue dipping method.

After 3 hours in the tank getting very curious with its new surroundings (with a lot of live rock), it ate and felt right at home! Eat's cleaned up all my small aiptasia in 1 day. He's looking very healthy and I really couldn't be happier. Although it's only been 2 days, its better in its natural environment and a bigger tank, rather than a small QT.

Fingers crossed, and really hope to see this little fella make it through!

Where did you get it from? Online? Lfs?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from my LFS, the same store I bought my first 2 from.
It was also smaller than my first 2. Love the copperband!

That’s good! Hopefully they had it for a while as too eliminate parasite possibility.

how is yours going?

He is great! Eating aiptasia and prepared foods, started picking at acans sadly but it was fun setting up a new acan only 20L for them lol

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good! Hopefully they had it for a while as too eliminate parasite possibility.

He is great! Eating aiptasia and prepared foods, started picking at acans sadly but it was fun setting up a new acan only 20L for them lol
Ouch Acans. What we else are they known to nip at? I've got a few corals coming soon

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting reading CBB thread so thus far. Go a CBB exactly 2 weeks ago from my LFS. Guy had 3 in separate tanks, all curious and seem to be hungry. I decided to get one and he recommended the biggest of the 3, about 4"-5" size, because it had been there the longest in hypo. Based on what I have heard from regarding them not doing well in QT, I introduced it directly into my DT (400g) with lots of rock after acclimatization. Fish refused to eat despite trying multiple foods. Took a few bites of LRS fish frenzy one day and clam rubberbanded to rock on day 4 and quit.Then I noticed cloudiness of its tail fin, then a small hole in the tail, then a small piece of tail fin missing, then swimming in the power head current. Also I saw 2 or 3 blemish/dark discoloration on its right side like an old scar. This evening found fish swimming sluggishly so I netted him without any hassle at all. I tried to tube feed him but no use. Currently in my QT on its side not swimming and slowly dying. Not exactly sure whether it's starvation alone or starvation plus some disease (fin rot)?
My next CBB will definitely go to QT first.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting reading CBB thread so thus far. Go a CBB exactly 2 weeks ago from my LFS. Guy had 3 in separate tanks, all curious and seem to be hungry. I decided to get one and he recommended the biggest of the 3, about 4"-5" size, because it had been there the longest in hypo. Based on what I have heard from regarding them not doing well in QT, I introduced it directly into my DT (400g) with lots of rock after acclimatization. Fish refused to eat despite trying multiple foods. Took a few bites of LRS fish frenzy one day and clam rubberbanded to rock on day 4 and quit.Then I noticed cloudiness of its tail fin, then a small hole in the tail, then a small piece of tail fin missing, then swimming in the power head current. Also I saw 2 or 3 blemish/dark discoloration on its right side like an old scar. This evening found fish swimming sluggishly so I netted him without any hassle at all. I tried to tube feed him but no use. Currently in my QT on its side not swimming and slowly dying. Not exactly sure whether it's starvation alone or starvation plus some disease (fin rot)?
My next CBB will definitely go to QT first.

I think it's a hit and miss and there is no correct answer or method to the CBB. It will all vary on each CBB itself.
I believe the best thing to do is to ensure it is eating mysis for a couple of days at the LFS, which would mean visiting the LFS on numerous occasions. Also ensuring that you are bringing home a CBB with a full stomach so it can at least last a few days.

Mine is going great so far and is by far my favourite fish. Most aggressive eater in the tank.

All the best and hope to hear how you go!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the fish, OP. It is known to be a difficult species to keep. I would suggest giving it as varied a diet as you could possible give it, and to keep it away from any of the faster, more aggressive fish in your tank.

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I visted my LFS today. He still has the other 2. I showed him a picture of the CBB before its demise with a pinkish coloration of its face. He thinks there may have been some bacteria gill infection. Whilst there, one of the CBB and a sohal tang started flashing. He quickly made a FWD with tap water, some stuff in a bottle and I think methylene blue or some chemical that turn and water blue and he dipped them for several minutes. I was surprised at how simple it was. Fishes were quite calm. Hopefully I should be able to do this comfortably in the future.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday for the first time in my life I ordered a fish on line. A copperband. I am not getting a good feeling about this even though the fish is coming from New York where I live but the stores here are not open and I want to replace my copperband that died probably from old age.

Buying on line costs about 3 times more for that fish than I normally spend but I am not caring about the cost, I am more concerned that I can't see the fish before I buy it, especially a copperband.

I just hope they are not quarantining or medicating it because to me, quarantining and medicating a fish, especially a copperband is the same as killing it.

We will see and I hope it goes as it is supposed. I know a lot of people buy fish on line so I may have to get with the 21st century. At least until the LFSs open around here. :rolleyes:

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a hit and miss and there is no correct answer or method to the CBB. It will all vary on each CBB itself.
I believe the best thing to do is to ensure it is eating mysis for a couple of days at the LFS, which would mean visiting the LFS on numerous occasions. Also ensuring that you are bringing home a CBB with a full stomach so it can at least last a few days.

Mine is going great so far and is by far my favourite fish. Most aggressive eater in the tank.
There seems to be different schools of thought regarding QT or not QT in regards to CBB. And most other fish for that matter. From my research, there are just as many successes and failures with both methods. Most of us not named @Paul B are not in a position to use natural sea water, wild caught clams & rocks directly from the ocean teaming with disease fighting bacteria and pathogens. So QT seems to be the best option. My feeling is if you are a QT person, then why change your routine. There's probably the same risk for failure either way so why not stick to the protocol with which you are comfortable. In QT you can target feed various foods without fierce competition. In the DT there will be, or should be, abundant rocks, pods etc for him to explore and pick at. So I get the benefit of both ways. I do agree the absolute most important thing with a CBB (or most fish for that matter) is to make sure they are eating before you purchase. Again, unless your name is @Paul B in which case your fish arrive with knife and fork in hand. Second most important thing is to have the proper foods available prior to purchase. In the case of a CBB, live black worms, clams and mysis should all be on hand. I made sure mine was eating good and not thin before I medicated in QT in case he stopped eating. Then he was removed from medication after 10 days to new observation QT with seasoned filtration and several live rocks with aiptasia, algae, bugs etc. Hes been in the 220 DT for over a month now and and along with his buddy, a Moorish Idol, are kings of the tank. Time will tell if my way is truly a success, but for now my magic 8 ball is saying "Outlook Good"

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back