New to corals

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2765f369a2190f90f4813ded6923a57f.jpg

I noticed recently that my favia (at least I think that's what it is) has these clear like protrusions coming off of it. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing or even what it means? I'm just afraid that it's dying and I'm doing something wrong. Right now it is sitting on the left side of the frag rack. I have a 45 gal JBJ with an AI Prime HD and an MP10 for flow. There is a total of 4 corals in the tank. 3 of which you can see in the pic. I stopped buying corals because I have an emperor angel that I'm afraid is going to tear them up. Any advice?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your seeing on the Favia are usually referred to as "sweeper tentacles" They're basically just elongated polyps that are used to catch food and give the coral a feel for it's surroundings. If these come into contact with another coral though it could do some damage and vice versa, so giving the coral/s plenty of space is recommended. As far as that Emperor Angel goes I wouldn't trust it in a tank full of corals, although I'm sure it's been done before without any problems. It's your call whether you want to roll the dice or not. GL.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with @cloak

Those are sweeper tentacles. You are fine. They are out for food or defense. Move the coral away from Favia. They have a deadly sting. I have no experience with Angle fish so can’t comment on that.

Good luck!!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back