New to LED, will it always look like this?

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last two tanks have had MH lighting. My 180gallon was about 12 years ago and I had a 28g just a few weeks ago. Building a 220g and I bought two used Atlantik V4’s. I installed one of them last night (because the guy that sold me the other didn’t include the hanging kit, And I’m not sure where to buy one) I have it 16” above water. I have great flow through tank and across the top. Looking at the sand it looks like I can see individual colors and it bounces all around. I believe this is what I’ve heard called disco effect? Will any LED light I get do this?

Attachments

• IMG_0563.MOV
    6.8 MB

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's the disco ball effect they do from the individual light diodes. There are light defuser most companies sell to reduce that but it also reduces PAR.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy Kessil. You get the shimmer and A+ color blending. I would not be able to live with your lights currently.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that actually doesnt look bad. try a Radion without a diffuser. it looks like an old static TV with crazy color shifting all over and that rapid grid looking disco ball shimmer.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back