New to LED, will it always look like this?

HighChiefKC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
374
Reaction score
280
Location
NW IN
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last two tanks have had MH lighting. My 180gallon was about 12 years ago and I had a 28g just a few weeks ago. Building a 220g and I bought two used Atlantik V4’s. I installed one of them last night (because the guy that sold me the other didn’t include the hanging kit, And I’m not sure where to buy one) I have it 16” above water. I have great flow through tank and across the top. Looking at the sand it looks like I can see individual colors and it bounces all around. I believe this is what I’ve heard called disco effect? Will any LED light I get do this?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0563.MOV
    6.8 MB
Well it looks like video didn’t work, but I’m sure you guys know what I’m talking about!
 
Yep that's the disco ball effect they do from the individual light diodes. There are light defuser most companies sell to reduce that but it also reduces PAR.
 
Buy Kessil. You get the shimmer and A+ color blending. I would not be able to live with your lights currently.
 
that actually doesnt look bad. try a Radion without a diffuser. it looks like an old static TV with crazy color shifting all over and that rapid grid looking disco ball shimmer.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new