New to me 120!! (And plumbing question)

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 120 planet aquarium that was setup for a 6 month cycle and then taken down when the previous owner was deployed to Germany for 6 months. The tank is in great condition, came with stand he was building that still needs finished, a brand new ro/di system, 2 barely used ocean revives, an eshopps sump, return pump and other goodies!!
This is my first sump system and I am overthinking everything as I usually do!! I am wanting to redo the plumbing to have the sump in a different location than it was originally plumbed for, when we moved it and took the return lines and standpipes out all of the gaskets ripped as they were siliconed to the glass for some reason.
This tank has a herbie style overflow and pictured below are the standpipes. Both of these pipes had 90s that pointed down with holes drilled in the tops of the cap fittings. What is the benefit of this style standpipe? Can I do the standpipes without any of the 90s and just the single piece of pipe?
I'm really excited about this build and have been obsessing over it the last week because I want to make sure I do it right.

20200124_194114.jpg 20200124_192223.jpg 20200124_192216.jpg 20200124_190032.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 120 planet aquarium that was setup for a 6 month cycle and then taken down when the previous owner was deployed to Germany for 6 months. The tank is in great condition, came with stand he was building that still needs finished, a brand new ro/di system, 2 barely used ocean revives, an eshopps sump, return pump and other goodies!!
This is my first sump system and I am overthinking everything as I usually do!! I am wanting to redo the plumbing to have the sump in a different location than it was originally plumbed for, when we moved it and took the return lines and standpipes out all of the gaskets ripped as they were siliconed to the glass for some reason.
This tank has a herbie style overflow and pictured below are the standpipes. Both of these pipes had 90s that pointed down with holes drilled in the tops of the cap fittings. What is the benefit of this style standpipe? Can I do the standpipes without any of the 90s and just the single piece of pipe?
I'm really excited about this build and have been obsessing over it the last week because I want to make sure I do it right.

20200124_194114.jpg 20200124_192223.jpg 20200124_192216.jpg 20200124_190032.jpg
The caps, tees and 90 degree elbow help to reduce the noise of the water passing through the tube. If you use straight pipes be prepared to hear a waterfall effect. Enjoy the new tank and set up!

Silicone is just insurance against leaks but now you should replace the seals with new ones.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back