New to QT. Before adding to DT...

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are in medicated water (with copper). If I transfer to DT will I introduce copper that might be harmful to inverts or is it so diluted (120g) that it wouldn’t matter?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are in medicated water (with copper). If I transfer to DT will I introduce copper that might be harmful to inverts or is it so diluted (120g) that it wouldn’t matter?
I wouldn’t go out of my way to transfer copper treated water to my DT, but a little bit isn’t an issue. One thing to be wary of is many QT are held at a lower salinity than the DT. Rather than acclimate them up, consider changing water in the QT with DT water over a few days, that will reduce the copper as well.
Jay

OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t go out of my way to transfer copper treated water to my DT, but a little bit isn’t an issue. One thing to be wary of is many QT are held at a lower salinity than the DT. Rather than acclimate them up, consider changing water in the QT with DT water over a few days, that will reduce the copper as well.
Jay
Thanks. I was planning to net them out of the water so it would just be what water clings to them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was planning to net them out of the water so it would just be what water clings to them.
Just be sure the water matches up well between the tanks, that small amount of copper won’t harm anything....
Jay

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I treat fish in QT as usual meds etc...but I also make sure everything is med free for a week or two before placing into DT. I am a true believer QT also acclimates fish to your schedule/habits. Also helps during the transition between tanks.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same as some other reefers reported already I QT fish with copper but then the copper is removed with a large water change and then running cuprisorb in a mesh bag and a day or so later I test for Copper which would be zero. Lastly remaining in the tank for another week or two is not a terrible idea.

Back