New to R2R, Hello!

Dustinc1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My name is Dustin from Denver, Colorado. I am a newbie into reefing but I love everything about it! I spend a lot time on YouTube learning and drooling but I thought joining a forum would be great! I would love some feedback, help, direction and thoughts. I may not be 1o0% on terminology yet so be gentle...

I have a basic set up that's been up and running for 15 months. 20 gallon tall tank, Orbit Marine LED current USA 24", Eheim 100w heater (77 degrees), Fluval (Aquaclear 50) filter running floss and chemipure elite and a bag of biomax media, as well a hydor Nano 425 powerhead.

I do 2.5 gallons of water change a week, I buy my water premixed at my local reef store (Elite Reef) and they use Kent salt premix. I top off with RO Water which I purchase as well. Regular basic testing for Phosphate, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, Alk and Calcium and Salinity with a cheap Amazon refractometer. Always within limits and stability.

I have about 17 pounds of liverock and 15 pounds of sand (Oolite; which I regret). Currently stocked with a six line wrasse, lemon damsel and a two striped damsel (another regret). I have a cleaner shrimp and some various CUC inverts and a sand sifting star (is this another regret?) I had two snowflake clowns that lived 8 months and one day died... odd? I won't replace until I move on from the damsels..

I also have some simple softies and LPS healthy corals. 3 head Duncan coral, Frogspawn which has turned into two (heads?) a Zoa rock with 20 polyps or so, and a Kenya tree coral that has grown large and since shed some branches and growing on my live rock in various locations.

I've had my share of diatoms and algae etc but now I have some nasty looking "dead flow" spots that i'm curious what I can do about. In the corners, super electric green in color and a little brown film floating on top on my sandbed. Is this something that I just need to vacuum up during a water change, alter flow, change filtration, too much light, all the above? HAHA .. I have some pics I could post too if anymore might help narrow down what it is.

Thank you!! I look forward to joining this community!!

Dustin

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! The algae could be several things, pictures would help, right off it sounds like either the ugly phase algae or cyano maybe. Also, what r your parameters?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Dustin and thanks for saying hello :) please share photos of your setup with us, wed love to see it :)
W9JTQym.gif
#WelcometoR2R

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Dustin ! Sounds like Your doing well with your 1st tank . As Crabs Mcjones was saying , pics will give us a lot of info . Maybe latest test readings will help us help you with this algae. This forum is great or beginners
like us. A ton of friendly advice & opinions .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back