New to Reefing? Click here!

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Welcome to saltwater reef keeping! As you look around this forum for info on how to get started, I offer you the source of info I received when I started. Bulk Reef Supply is a warehouse that not only sells products, but they show you how to use them! I am not affiliated with BRS, but I highly recommend you hunker down for a few weeks, and watch these videos while you are searching on Reef 2 Reef! Happy Reefing!

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there! Welcome to saltwater reef keeping! As you look around this forum for info on how to get started, I offer you the source of info I received when I started. Bulk Reef Supply is a warehouse that not only sells products, but they show you how to use them! I am not affiliated with BRS, but I highly recommend you hunker down for a few weeks, and watch these videos while you are searching on Reef 2 Reef! Happy Reefing!

The videos are great to see what products are out there - etc. I would also recommend an LFS who knows what they are doing - as a resource. Here is also a nice link to a list of books for reefing. Which may be more concise than watching hours of videos. (Not a criticism - just my personal preference- much easier to read rather than having to go through a series of videos.)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pass, go find a local reef club or a GOOD LFS. Too much product shilling in some of the videos for my taste. More than one way to skin a cat and BRS doesn't typically help in that dept.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass, go find a local reef club or a GOOD LFS. Too much product shilling in some of the videos for my taste. More than one way to skin a cat and BRS doesn't typically help in that dept.
I agree with that as well. But, as in my case, there may be no lfs or club in the county of the new reefer. Everyone learns differently, and some people are visual learners, rather than reading words in a post. I invite all seasoned reefers to post the info that got them started on this thread.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internet was in it's infancy when I started reefing. BBS boards was the reddit of the day and YouTube wasn't even a name yet. 28.8kbps modems was the thing most of us had and internet wasn't unlimited pricing in the home, yet.

Books, LOTS of reading was my teacher and some experimentation (and screw ups) along the way. Admittedly breaking into the hobby was a bit cheaper but much more exotic in those days. I still have my books lying around between my place and my dad's house as he has been in the saltwater game since the 80's. I was fortunate to be around aquariums from a YOUNG age, and I get that isn't the case for us all. Frankly spoonfed knowledge from a single point source is not helping this hobby currently, hell it's not helping society currently (another discussion for somewhere else).

The way I do some things would be considered barbaric, or weird but I'm fine, the fish are fine and everything is doing just fine in my tanks

I'm going back to my porch to stare at my lawn so I'm ready to yell at someone about it, lol.

Back