New to reefing! Need help please!

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! My 3y son asked for an aquarium for his birthday and so I am embarking into this journey!

We bought a 10 gallon tank. It is getting settled before we get our livestock.

My questions are these:
1. Which one is the best source of information to learn how to do this? (Books - maybe YouTube channel) As I am researching I am getting more anxious of all the things I don't know!
2. We are thinking about getting 2 ocellaris clown fish, 1 anemone (which kind?), 1 wheeler's goby and 1 shrimp (which kind?). Will these fish coexist peacefully together?
3. I put a bottle of some bacteria in the tank, is that what starts "the cycle"?
4. when can I bring the livestock in?

I am sure this has been asked before, and this is also my first time on a forum so not sure how to find the right threads...

Thank you so much for any and all the help!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there! My 3y son asked for an aquarium for his birthday and so I am embarking into this journey!

My questions are these:
1. Which one is the best source of information to learn how to do this? (Books - maybe YouTube channel) As I am researching I am getting more anxious of all the things I don't know!
2. We are thinking about getting 2 ocellaris clown fish, 1 anemone (which kind?), 1 wheeler's goby and 1 shrimp (which kind?). Will these fish coexist peacefully together?
3. I put a bottle of some bacteria in the tank, is that what starts "the cycle"?

I am sure this has been asked before, and this is also my first time on a forum so not sure how to find the right threads...

Thank you so much for any and all the

My questions are these:

Welcome! I’d suggest reading this thread before you add any livestock: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/
A few things. In a tank that size you should only think of one or two fish. Nano tanks are doable, but harder to keep stable. You could also check out the educational videos on the BRS website. They have a ton of info. And ask a lot of questions here. We want to help!

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest a 40G at least. The smaller the tank the more difficult it will be to care for. Do not buy anything before researching. You will find patience in the Saltwater Aquarium Hobby will lead you to success.

Not to be a negative consult here, but I've read way too many horror stories on this site and the main reason is people don't know what they are getting into or rush into the Hobby and start buying livestock.

Since you've started the process:

1. What type of testing equipment do you have to test things like salinity, nitrate and ammonia etc?

2. Type of sand or are you using sand?

3. What type of filtration are you using?

4. What types of lighting do you have, what is your lighting schedule? I didn't even turn my lights on for the first 4 weeks (no livestock).

I'd personally start with a few snails in a few weeks until your tank stabilizes. If you don't know what this means then you shouldn't add any other livestock.

There are no specific YouTube videos to watch...watch as much as possible, and read as much as possible.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a small tank, I would only put 1 or 2 small fish in there.
just read as much as you can, and ask as many questions as you want. Understand there are no rules, only opinions and preferences, so take info from as many sources as possible.

It is a difficult and expensive hobby, but very rewarding in the end.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all . Welcome and glad to have you
Plenty of us here to advise and help along the way .

for information , this is by far the best saltwater reef
Forum on the internet .
there are sections for new for different stages from setting up to adding your first fish .
If possible I would recommend a tank size a little larger as small tanks are a lot harder to maintain stable parameters ( but not impossible )

first things to purchase
Test kits
Refractometer for measuring salinity
Rodi water filtration system

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My questions are these:

Your son is 3?

Where will it be located? One thing you don't want to do have it set up in his room if he tends to be a climber. We wouldn't want this tank to fall on him. Will you teach him not to stick his fingers in there all the time? And not to throw toys in there?
Don't get me wrong, this is a great Hobby and it's a great time to teach children about life and how to care for animals. But also have to be sensible and where the tank is and the access he has to it when you're not watching. Many things can and will go wrong on this journey.
Have you thought about freshwater? It is much more forgiving and much cheaper. But he can learn the same lessons. Keep us posted on what you want to do we are here to help.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My questions are these:

I agree with those posts suggesting you start with a bigger tank. There are VERY few saltwater fish options that can do well in a 10 gallon tank. Most common voices require no less than 20 to 30 gallons (like clowns).
search: best saltwater fish for “x” gallon tank
That should lead you to some good videos.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is the best source of information to learn how to do this? (Books - maybe YouTube channel) As I am researching I am getting more anxious of all the things I don't know!
This IS the life skill that you need to seperate out "good" information from "bad" information. It is overwhelming at first. Don't let get ahead of yourself thinking you have it or understand. Always remember this something more to be learned.

I would work in this skill right now. It won't be easy but it will serve you well in your life. Having this skill is so valuable I would suggest everyone aquire it. Unfortunately there are many things that make it very hard to aquire, but persistance will be the winner in this ever single time.

Slow and steady wins the race. The story of the tortise and the hare.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your son is 3?

Where will it be located? One thing you don't want to do have it set up in his room if he tends to be a climber. We wouldn't want this tank to fall on him. Will you teach him not to stick his fingers in there all the time? And not to throw toys in there?
Don't get me wrong, this is a great Hobby and it's a great time to teach children about life and how to care for animals. But also have to be sensible and where the tank is and the access he has to it when you're not watching. Many things can and will go wrong on this journey.
Have you thought about freshwater? It is much more forgiving and much cheaper. But he can learn the same lessons. Keep us posted on what you want to do we are here to help.
Hi! My son will turn 3 by the end of the month! He is a climber!
But I have accounted for that! The aquarium is already here and "cycling" (but God knows if that is happening at all). It is set up in the kitchen on a sturdy counter. Although he can reach counter height with his kitchen tower we have been working hard not to be close to the aquarium without supervision and he is really good at keeping limits.
Nevertheless, he is still a toddler so the aquarium is protected even if I leave the room...
To be honest, now that I am reading all of these responses I feel that we shot ourselves in the foot with this buy... as I did not know that this would be such a harrowing journey. The people at the store did not recommend half the stuff I have read after we bought everything... and such an investment as well...
In any case, the 10 gallon aquarium is already here and so we will ride it out and see how we can make it work.
We are very responsible pet owners and we will do our best to help our fish thrive!
I cannot thank you enough for your thoughts!

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I’d suggest reading this thread before you add any livestock: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/
A few things. In a tank that size you should only think of one or two fish. Nano tanks are doable, but harder to keep stable. You could also check out the educational videos on the BRS website. They have a ton of info. And ask a lot of questions here. We want to help!
Ok... I read the whole thing and I want to sit down and cry.
Before purchasing everything I went to the store and talked to them about what we would need and I ended up buying exactly what they recommended. I researched the store and they are specialized in marine livestock so I figured they would give me good advise. I guess they did not want to loose me as a client... As I am reading more and more I realized how unprepared I am and how we bought the wrong size everything!
I am going back to the store today to talk to them and see if we can exchange some things and maybe get a bigger tank.
I mentioned in a different answer that I have a 3 year old, so having the aquarium in the kitchen is really the safest place for both my son and our fish and that is why we cannot have a much bigger tank than 10 gallons.
In any case, that is where we are at right now. I will have my water tested today and see if the bottled bacteria we put in is working. I also will start a thread on the building your aquarium part of the forum and post our progress there a well.
I thank you very much for taking the time to answer!

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If salt is too overwhelming is going the freshwater way an option? If you have any type of filter and heater, it should be ok for freshwater. You can make a really nice tank out of a 10gal. Lots of options for fish, and you can do plants too if you like.

Fresh is a good way to start out out and learn good husbandry practices that lead to success in the hobby. It's a great hobby to get involved in if you love to learn new things, but it does require effort.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If salt is too overwhelming is going the freshwater way an option? If you have any type of filter and heater, it should be ok for freshwater. You can make a really nice tank out of a 10gal. Lots of options for fish, and you can do plants too if you like.

Fresh is a good way to start out out and learn good husbandry practices that lead to success in the hobby. It's a great hobby to get involved in if you love to learn new things, but it does require effort.
I was just thinking the same thing. When my kids were little I kept a small 5g betta tank in the kitchen. They’re very hardy, social, and beautiful. Perfect for a 3yo!

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you for your thoughts.
I had my water tested this morning and it turns out all the parameters are doing well and it looks like the tank has cycled already. That gave me some hope that I am doing something good and we will be able to make this small tank work.
I think that what I do need to do is slow down.
I am going to take it easy before putting livestock in there. But after having a family meeting we all feel that our expectations of having a reef tank it is just too high and we want to work towards that goal together.
So here we go! I appreciate this community so much for welcoming me and being willing to help me out!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my water tested this morning and it turns out all the parameters are doing well and it looks like the tank has cycled already. That gave me some hope that I am doing something good and we will be able to make this small tank work.
I am going to take it easy before putting livestock in there. But after having a family meeting we all feel that our expectations of having a reef tank it is just too high and we want to work towards that goal together.
So here we go! I appreciate this community so much for welcoming me and being willing to help me out!
Okay, how can we help? Are you starting on freshwater and salt later?
Great idea to have the tank in a community room as the kitchen. Also great your son is learning boundaries and when and when not to touch the tank.
We are here for any questions you have.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great news .
Take it slow , nothing good happens fast .
let things mature and evolve naturally and it will be a lot less hassle later .

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you introducing your son to a hobby that is not on a screen...

Don't try and do both salt and fresh at the same time as an introduction. I recommend starting with fresh because you are a first timer. This will teach you some basic principles like water changes, hands in the tank, maintenance schedules etc.

You can do salt, but I think you will need a bigger set up. You could get the 10 going as a reef, and then upgrade to a bigger tank and convert the 10 to a quarantine / hospital tank as you progress. Best of luck in this incredibly rewarding (very challenging) lifelong hobby.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, how can we help? Are you starting on freshwater and salt later?
Great idea to have the tank in a community room as the kitchen. Also great your son is learning boundaries and when and when not to touch the tank.
We are here for any questions you have.
Thank you!
We are keeping the salt water 10G tank for now. We will probably just do the clown fish for now.
Today at the store we looked at the fish they have and I was looking to see what their behavior was... none of them were bullies... but I will make another trip to the store before actually buying the fish to take a look at their behavior again. Most likely we will get the ocellaris clown fish cause as per my reading it looks like those will be the more peaceful and acceptable of others fish...

We are using this time not only to help the tank set but also for my son to create a healthy relationship with it and learn what is acceptable around the tank and what is a hard no. So far he is doing great.
We both spend a lot of time just looking at the water and our 2 little rocks in there and talking about what I have learned so far of the cycle and what is going on inside the water.
I feel we will love our fish once they come because we already love our little tank!
Again, so grateful for all of you guys who took the time to answer my questions and impart some wisdom our way!
This is a great community! (I am part of a mom community that is not even close to being so welcoming and warm and kind)

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My questions are these:

I would recommend taking a look at some of the nano tank setups that Bulk Reef Supply has. They have a whole series of videos and address nano tanks.

That said, a 10 gallon tank is very small for a saltwater setup and even smaller for the number of fish listed in the thread. These guys have evolved to live in pristine waters of the ocean with billions of gallons of water pouring over them from the open ocean. So I would suggest either considering a 40 gallon nano tank or stay with the 10 gallon tank but switch to fresh water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back