New to reefing. Started cycling my tank two weeks ago with Dr. Tim's fast cycling ammonia and bacteria.

tjtax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am excited to start this new adventure but also feeling lots of trepidation as it seems the learning curve for this hobby is very steep. I've been reading articles, watching YT videos for a year and finally decided to pull the trigger. I have a 40 gallon Aquatop AIO. I wanted to save some money so I decided to buy RO water and mixed saltwater from my local fish store (instead of buying my own RO filtration system, etc.).

I was testing my water every night but I kept getting a weird ammonia reading (I'm using API test kit). I kept receiving a blue color instead of any shade of green. After a week of getting this same result, and not seeing much, if any nitrites, I changed out 5 gallons of water. This led to seeing better ammonia results but still more blue than green.

I purchased a refractometer but it didn't seem to work correctly so I purchased an inexpensive hydrometer from Petco. When I put the hydrometer into the tank the reading instantly maxed out to over 38. I removed 3-4 gallons of water from the tank and added 3-4 gallons of pure RO freshwater and that brought the salinity into normal ranges. I'm assuming I got some bad saltwater from the fish store.

I'm guessing this is why after 2 weeks my tank is still struggling to cycle. The past 3 days I am getting the same readings (ammonia .5 ppm, nitrites 1 ppm). Do I need to redo the Dr. Tim's system? Thoughts? TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif
welcome33a.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone! I am excited to start this new adventure but also feeling lots of trepidation as it seems the learning curve for this hobby is very steep. I've been reading articles, watching YT videos for a year and finally decided to pull the trigger. I have a 40 gallon Aquatop AIO. I wanted to save some money so I decided to buy RO water and mixed saltwater from my local fish store (instead of buying my own RO filtration system, etc.).

I was testing my water every night but I kept getting a weird ammonia reading (I'm using API test kit). I kept receiving a blue color instead of any shade of green. After a week of getting this same result, and not seeing much, if any nitrites, I changed out 5 gallons of water. This led to seeing better ammonia results but still more blue than green.

I purchased a refractometer but it didn't seem to work correctly so I purchased an inexpensive hydrometer from Petco. When I put the hydrometer into the tank the reading instantly maxed out to over 38. I removed 3-4 gallons of water from the tank and added 3-4 gallons of pure RO freshwater and that brought the salinity into normal ranges. I'm assuming I got some bad saltwater from the fish store.

I'm guessing this is why after 2 weeks my tank is still struggling to cycle. The past 3 days I am getting the same readings (ammonia .5 ppm, nitrites 1 ppm). Do I need to redo the Dr. Tim's system? Thoughts? TIA
Its possible that you are cycled. Api kits can be tricky and even deliver false readings. The effective way to start cycle is to add ammonia chloride ( BRS or Dr. Tims) . Then, ammonia rises thn falls and when it achieves a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.
Did you add ammonia chloride or something to increase ammonia initially ?
Being that you are using API kits , I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours then you will know where your readings are at.
A typical cycle period is 10-14 days and you want to stock very slowly to allow denitrifying bacteria to keep up with new bioload as tank matures
Adding 1.5ml per of liquid bacteria such as Micro Bacter XLM per ten gallons daily for next 2 weeks will assure bacteria is sufficient and supported.

OP
OP
T

tjtax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible that you are cycled. Api kits can be tricky and even deliver false readings. The effective way to start cycle is to add ammonia chloride ( BRS or Dr. Tims) . Then, ammonia rises thn falls and when it achieves a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and when nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.
Did you add ammonia chloride or something to increase ammonia initially ?
Being that you are using API kits , I would suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours then you will know where your readings are at.
A typical cycle period is 10-14 days and you want to stock very slowly to allow denitrifying bacteria to keep up with new bioload as tank matures
Adding 1.5ml per of liquid bacteria such as Micro Bacter XLM per ten gallons daily for next 2 weeks will assure bacteria is sufficient and supported.
I did dose with ammonia chloride from Dr. Tims initially but haven't added any since the first time. Thank you for the other suggestions, I will keep adding bacteria.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back