New to Reefing

Neem_OH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Thanks for having me, long time follower and first time member. Ive been setup since last december and still adding on as I progress. I have a 150g DT with a 40g breeder sump with a triton baffle kit. Check out the pics and feel free to critique as I am a newb wanting to learn. Eventually when the tank is established enough i would like to grow coral.

Again thanks for having me!

20220416_094623.jpg 20220416_094633.jpg 20220506_065913.jpg 20220425_172515.jpg

OP
OP
N

Neem_OH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, i changed my lighting to the 3 vipar 165w and i think that may have started an algae bloom so ive been tampering with the light intensity and duration. Also struggling to grow chaeto in the fuge but i think its due to competition/lack of phosphates? Still narrowing things down.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, i changed my lighting to the 3 vipar 165w and i think that may have started an algae bloom so ive been tampering with the light intensity and duration. Also struggling to grow chaeto in the fuge but i think its due to competition/lack of phosphates? Still narrowing things down.

Love your setup. May I ask; what are the dimensions of your tank?

Personally, I don't concern myself with a lack of chaeto growth.

We place Chaetomorpha (or other macro algae) into our refugium as a means of nutrient export. The Chaeto feeds on the nutrients in the water column, leaving little, if any left for algae to grow in the display.

In my opinion, little to no growth of Chaetomorpha means low nutrient levels in the tank.

OP
OP
N

Neem_OH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your setup. May I ask; what are the dimensions of your tank?

Personally, I don't concern myself with a lack of chaeto growth.

We place Chaetomorpha (or other macro algae) into our refugium as a means of nutrient export. The Chaeto feeds on the nutrients in the water column, leaving little, if any left for algae to grow in the display.

In my opinion, little to no growth of Chaetomorpha means low nutrient levels in the tank.
Going off memory i believe the tank is 24" H 20" W and 72" L.

Thanks for the insight!

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for joining Neem, or should I call you Mr Oh?

Tank looks great, and though not familiar with those lights specifically they should get you where you want to go.. as to algae now in your set up tune down the whites and reds and perhaps the intensity - till you feel you can get it back to a balance
As to Chaeto, as above, they are a nutrient sink and wouldn't worry for a couple more months and a much fuller tank
overall great start and see good things in the stars for you

100.gif

OP
OP
N

Neem_OH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for joining Neem, or should I call you Mr Oh?

Tank looks great, and though not familiar with those lights specifically they should get you where you want to go.. as to algae now in your set up tune down the whites and reds and perhaps the intensity - till you feel you can get it back to a balance
As to Chaeto, as above, they are a nutrient sink and wouldn't worry for a couple more months and a much fuller tank
overall great start and see good things in the stars for you

100.gif
Either title is fine lol. Appreciate the insight!
All i can really control on those lights are whites and blues unfortunately. I can post a couple of more recent photos as to what im dealing with currently. It appears i have a combination of diatoms and red cyano going nuts at the moment but i do believe its a lighting issue. Last night i adjusted the timers for both channels to 8 hours of lighting. Ive also just received notice my red sea gyre pump is arriving today so hopefully a more consistent flow throughout will help too

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back