New to Saltwater Fishkeeping, looking for startup help!

Pandicorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody! I am new to saltwater aquariums, but have a fairly extensive knowledge of freshwater fish (3 tanks). I am looking to start a new reef tank?(Not sure about corals/lighting etc), and am looking for startup information. Is cycling the same? I imagine I can't seed my filter (live rock? sump? ???) with my freshwater filter media. Thank you so much!

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st of all.. Welcome to the fold..
2nd of all... I hope your a good reader. A blanket open ended question such as that is like playing with dynamite. Your going to get a lot of answers..

My suggestion is, Look through these forums. You can search just about everything. There are some great guides to getting started. Bulk reef supply 52 weeks of reefing is a good video series.

And no, your freshwater equipment is generally made for freshwater. Saltwater is very different. But well worth the challenge.

OP
OP
Pandicorn

Pandicorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Currently I've read some of the startup guides on this forum, as well as some others, and to my understanding I need the tank (duh), LEDs for corals, powerheads for flow, skimmers for... skimming? And thats about all for the hardware? And then Live rock for cycling/structure? Is there anything I am missing? I am looking around on craigslist right now, and am wondering if this is a good deal? https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/d/solana-34-gallon-bullnose-all/6407558430.html Thanks so much!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your missing a few things ..
refractometer or something too measure your salinity
Rodi unit for water
Test kits to start with
Ammonia, nitrite,nitrate Then later
Calc ,alk,po4 ,mag

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Currently I've read some of the startup guides on this forum, as well as some others, and to my understanding I need the tank (duh), LEDs for corals, powerheads for flow, skimmers for... skimming? And thats about all for the hardware? And then Live rock for cycling/structure? Is there anything I am missing? I am looking around on craigslist right now, and am wondering if this is a good deal? https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/d/solana-34-gallon-bullnose-all/6407558430.html Thanks so much!
Couldn’t say if it’s good for the price ,I’m from Holland so not sure what you guys pay for things .. but the tank and lights and skimmer are good !

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI is not required but well worth it. You will get dissolved solids in tap water that will add things you don't want to your water.

The RedSea marine test kit is a good start to test parameters ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and alkalinity
Corals require calcium, magnesium and low phosphates to thrive. You will need the RedSea foundation kit to measure calcium and magnesium.
You don't need to get that kit yet. Most everyone will recommend a Hanna test kit for Phosphates. I use a Hanna phosphorus for ultra low readings and the Hanna alkalinity tester but the RedSea Pro kit for Cal., Mag. and pH

And WELCOME to R2R ! ! !

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read about the nitrogen cycle in the ‘supreme guide’ stickie. Basically, you add ammonia to the tank and eventually enough bacteria converts it into nitrites then nitrates. The bacteria are already in the water and air but I takes a while to start the cycle. You can add a beneficial bacteria starter (Dr. Tim’s One and Only is a good one) to speed things up. The cycle might take several weeks or even a month without help from added bacteria. Even with it, it probably won’t cycle overnight. Good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back