New to saltwater; help desperately needed, input appreciated!

Ladyluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a second-hand 35g bowfront in December. Have (mostly) successfully run freshwater but this is turning into a whole new nightmare.
Will try to provide good details but feel free to ask if I miss anything.
Set up with dry rock. Crushed coral substrate.
Have 2 powerheads for circulation and currently running 2 filters, a HOB Fluval that came with it and a Fluvial 306 canister that we had (previously in freshwater; cleaned out and replaced all filter sponges, media). Filter stuff just sponges and carbon. AI Prime 16HD light. Also a heater, unsure of what it is but keeps tank at 25°C consistently. Although we initially filled with salt mixed at home (Instant Ocean) and tap water with Prime, we then started getting all our water from the local reef supply premixed. We did VERY consistent water changes, sometimes daily. Tank "cycled" and we added a few molly fry and then some recommended corals from local shop. We waited about another month then added an anemone and attempted to add 2 clownfish - they both went into immediate death spirals after being released from acclimation ( at least 15 mins temp then about 30 of adding tank water to bag ).
We scooped out and put in a container of fresh saltwater from store. 1 lived and was returned to store to wait for its new home to be safe. Store tested ammonia high (1.5) Did large 50% water change then daily/bi-daily changes and used lots of MicroBacter bottle bac. Seemed better, then spiked again. Got filter pad from another tank and 5g of their water, did another 50% change and used super high end bottle bac stuff and more MicroBacter. Got better, ammonia and nitrite were 0, nitrates climbing. Then suddenly after a few weeks ammonia climbed again. Did another large change, used BioSpira bottle bac, went back to 0 ammonia and nitrite. Now is spiking up yet again.
At home I had been testing API and almost always got .25. Read lots on how that is a common reading. Also used tetra strips and would get minimal or no ammonia. Ammonia Alert Seachem badge always shows yellow. Have used Prime and/or Amguard. Continually trying different bottle bac. Mollies stay alive, anemone is super unhappy seeming constantly at deaths door, toadstools leathers both died, one zoanthid frag melted away other corals (zoas, blastomussa, hammer and favia) living but wouldn't say thriving.
I feed very minimally, a slight dust of flake every day for the fishies, barely what sticks to my finger.
Once every week or two a bit of mysis.
Still doing weekly 15% or more water changes. Store said dont use Prime anymore but Im terrified the ammonia will kill everything without a stopgaps.

Salifert tests: (recently bought all these so In not running across city 2x/wk to get the tests done there
Alkalinity has been 8-8.5
Magnesium HIGH 1500
Calcium high 500
Phosphate was highish but now 0
Ammonia 1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~30ish

API test
Ammonia .25 (.5 when snail dies)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~20ish
PH 7.4

Tetra test
Ammonia between 0 and .5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
KH more than 120ppm but under 180ppm
PH 7.8

I have had to dose Red Sea Foundation occasionally for alkalinity. Store has told me to ignore ph, initially used Seachem Marine Buffer but stopped as they said not too bother.

A few weeks back I also used some Vibrant for the out of control algae that was choking out my zoanthids.

Current live occupants are 2 juvenile mollies, 2 astrea snails, 3 other snails (type?), 3 hermit crabs, and an emerald crab (have not seen since adding).

Oh and salinity generally about 1.026

Any input/advice/help GREATLY appreciated. Have spent thousands and am almost at the "throw it all out" point.

20210314_150121_HDR.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be doing too much with all the dosing and water changes. Seems like you are chasing numbers which can cause more problems than having a number that is less than ideal. Just let the tank do it’s thing for a while, don’t add anymore livestock for a few months. A tank can’t reach its equilibrium if it’s constantly majorly tweaked. Relax a bit.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 1 the tank looks too clean
A few weeks back I also used some Vibrant for the out of control algae
This can cause oxygen problems killing fish and everything else. Just might be where your ammonia came from.

More to follow when I have some time.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree with @Rtaylor ... you are trying to run a sprint instead of jog. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Personally, I think you jumped the gun adding anything. You were not fully cycled yet. You still have a ways to go to be stable. Anemone and corals?? Way too soon. Those should come down the line when you are evened out. As he said... add nothing else. Give it a month or two. Don't freak when you get diatoms... this too shall pass.
This is a marathon, not a race. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
L

Ladyluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.. :)
echo above. are you using tap water? or rodi ?
Only premixed saltwater and reverse osmosis from store, with the exception of initial fill in December (tap water to mix our own initial batch)

OP
OP
L

Ladyluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree with @Rtaylor ... you are trying to run a sprint instead of jog. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Personally, I think you jumped the gun adding anything. You were not fully cycled yet. You still have a ways to go to be stable. Anemone and corals?? Way too soon. Those should come down the line when you are evened out. As he said... add nothing else. Give it a month or two. Don't freak when you get diatoms... this too shall pass.
Really only did anything as the local coral/salt specialty store told us to; they did all water tests and claimed it was time. It was at least 2 months before anything went in there. We went through the brown diatoms and then got green algae.
Whats concerning is they keep telling me something is "killing" our cycle as we reach 0 ammonia and nitrite, get nitrate, then a week later its back to having ammonia and sometimes even loses nitrate
I know this sounds impossible. I never chase values in my freshwaters. But something seems very wrong here if it goes backwards, no?

OP
OP
L

Ladyluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 1 the tank looks too clean

This can cause oxygen problems killing fish and everything else. Just might be where your ammonia came from.

More to follow when I have some time.
Its not a great picture - but trust me still algae remaining. Bryopsis and/or hair algae was literally choking the tank out.
I'll try to find better pic. But honestly not that clean lol went through a really cloudy time too.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really only did anything as the local coral/salt specialty store told us to; they did all water tests and claimed it was time. It was at least 2 months before anything went in there. We went through the brown diatoms and then got green algae.
Whats concerning is they keep telling me something is "killing" our cycle as we reach 0 ammonia and nitrite, get nitrate, then a week later its back to having ammonia and sometimes even loses nitrate
I know this sounds impossible. I never chase values in my freshwaters. But something seems very wrong here if it goes backwards, no?
I would find another LFS. They told you to ignore the low PH.... they sold you an anemone and corals way too soon. You can throw things off if you put too high of a demand in too soon. Algae is part of the process. As @lapin said... Vibrant may have been like bringing a gun to a knife fight.
Let everything run it's course. There is no need to throw in the towel. Let that molly live it's life for a while. Let the tank dirty up a bit. What you need is stability. That takes time. You'll get there.

OP
OP
L

Ladyluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be doing too much with all the dosing and water changes. Seems like you are chasing numbers which can cause more problems than having a number that is less than ideal. Just let the tank do it’s thing for a while, don’t add anymore livestock for a few months. A tank can’t reach its equilibrium if it’s constantly majorly tweaked. Relax a bit.
Trying to do so, while also keeping current things alive if possible

OP
OP
L

Ladyluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find another LFS. They told you to ignore the low PH.... they sold you an anemone and corals way too soon. You can throw things off if you put too high of a demand in too soon. Algae is part of the process. As @lapin said... Vibrant may have been like bringing a gun to a knife fight.
Let everything run it's course. There is no need to throw in the towel. Let that molly live it's life for a while. Let the tank dirty up a bit. What you need is stability. That takes time. You'll get there.
I wish I could find another place we are "lucky" to have one at all here, no other options within 6 hrs...

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
‘She’ said

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best thing you could do is to stop adding more stuff like prime and vibrant to the tank, those wont help your problem and are most likely making it worse. Cycling hasnt finished in you tank yet. I would keep ammonia the same (dont add more food, or livestock to tank) and add some sort of bottle bacteria to help things along. Also wouldnt try to add an anemone for at least 9 months, the tank needs to be more stable biologically

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back