New to saltwater - looking for help with a seahorse tank

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have a little planted freshwater pea puffer tank that I really love, and I’m preparing to start a seahorse tank. I’m totally new to saltwater, and I’d really love some advice on how best to get started. I have done some research on basic requirements, but I’m a bit lost on what to actually buy.

I intend to keep:
- A pair of h. erectus seahorses
- A goby (possibly with a pistol shrimp?)
- TBD invert cleanup crew
- Macro algae for hitching posts
- Later on, some gorgonian coral for hitching posts

Key requirements (beside the obvious heater etc):
- 30-45 gallon tank at least 18” tall
- Protein skimmer
- Live rock, roughly 30-40 pounds
- 1” of live sand
- LED light that can support gorgonian coral
- Must look “nice” and modern, ideally a rimless cube

I’m trying to decide between an AIO like the Red Sea Max or a sump setup like the Reefer. My freshwater tank is a Fluval AIO and I love it, but I’m not sure if a sump is going to make a saltwater tank easier to maintain or easier to find equipment that works and fits.

I'm also trying to decide if I should get a high quality used tank (the ones I’ve looked at have been scratched pretty badly or otherwise in poor condition), a lower quality new tank (like an Aquatop AIO or even a Coralife Biocube), or just bite the bullet and get a new Waterbox or Red Sea.

Any and all advice welcome!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 1.11.16 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Firstly, welcome to the R2R community. A few things to keep in mind as you set up the new environment for your ponies.

Select a tank with a standard fluorescent strip light. Seahorses don't like much light, preferring less than a normal reef tank is equipped with and seahorses don't mix well with coral. Water quality is very important, so choose a high-quality filter that doesn't cause significant current or create bubbles. Seahorses are weak swimmers that don't move around or feed well in water with high flow.

Choose a filter rated for a larger aquarium than the one you're using as seahorses pass considerable amounts of undigested food that must be effectively removed from the environment.
I recommend to Install some type of protein skimmer in your seahorse tank. It helps keep the water clean and adequately oxygenates the environment for your seahorses' weak gills.
Very important to follow the instructions on your salt mix to achieve salt water with a gravity between 1.023 and 1.024, which is the norm for ponies. Instant ocean should be adequate.

Maintain a water temperature between 74 and 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a tank fan over the water or a water chiller as necessary if water gets too warm. This is cooler than many other marine specimens prefer, which is another complication in finding suitable seahorse tankmates. Keep a thermometer in the aquarium to monitor the water temperature DAILY.

Also, add substrate to the bottom of the aquarium. Live rock that's been cured to eliminate potential tank pests is a good option, as is sand. Choose substrate that's free of sharp or jagged edges, which can easily wound seahorses.
Lastly, Erect multiple hitching posts in the aquarium substrate as seahorses need structures to wrap their tails around. Fake coral, fake kelp, plants, slender rock formations and other curly tall shaped items work well.

Include a few snails, limpets or small hermit crabs in your seahorse tank. They serve as a beneficial cleanup crew for the food particles your seahorses leave behind. Take everything slow as the more careful you are, the more successful you will likely be.
Best of luck

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very welcome !

I don't want to bring you down of having seahorses, but they are real delicate and needs very well kept tank, especially for being new to this wonderful hobby. So please,....don't rush into having Seahorse's. Read anything you can and search for threads here and other sites. There are many books to read, video's on youtube as well, and I'm sure there are Seahorse clubs to join.

Enjoy !

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, welcome to the R2R community. A few things to keep in mind as you set up the new environment for your ponies.

Select a tank with a standard fluorescent strip light. Seahorses don't like much light, preferring less than a normal reef tank is equipped with and seahorses don't mix well with coral. Water quality is very important, so choose a high-quality filter that doesn't cause significant current or create bubbles. Seahorses are weak swimmers that don't move around or feed well in water with high flow.

Choose a filter rated for a larger aquarium than the one you're using as seahorses pass considerable amounts of undigested food that must be effectively removed from the environment.
I recommend to Install some type of protein skimmer in your seahorse tank. It helps keep the water clean and adequately oxygenates the environment for your seahorses' weak gills.
Very important to follow the instructions on your salt mix to achieve salt water with a gravity between 1.023 and 1.024, which is the norm for ponies. Instant ocean should be adequate.

Maintain a water temperature between 74 and 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a tank fan over the water or a water chiller as necessary if water gets too warm. This is cooler than many other marine specimens prefer, which is another complication in finding suitable seahorse tankmates. Keep a thermometer in the aquarium to monitor the water temperature DAILY.

Also, add substrate to the bottom of the aquarium. Live rock that's been cured to eliminate potential tank pests is a good option, as is sand. Choose substrate that's free of sharp or jagged edges, which can easily wound seahorses.
Lastly, Erect multiple hitching posts in the aquarium substrate as seahorses need structures to wrap their tails around. Fake coral, fake kelp, plants, slender rock formations and other curly tall shaped items work well.

Include a few snails, limpets or small hermit crabs in your seahorse tank. They serve as a beneficial cleanup crew for the food particles your seahorses leave behind. Take everything slow as the more careful you are, the more successful you will likely be.
Best of luck
I was just gonna suggest he reach out to u vette. Also go to seahorse/ pipefish section and check out 6 series post by VLANGEL should be very informative to you. Hope all goes well seahorses rule. Welcome aboard r2r

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back