New to saltwater, picked up a live coral tank 3 days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BeatenEgg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 100gal saltwater tank with living coral and a few inhabitants. I'm just starting fresh so any help would be greatly appreciated. Original owner had this tank for about 10 years, almost 95% self sustaining. I picked it up from the second owner after he had it for only about 3 months. I don't know anything about live coral, how they respond to stress, and what are the signs of unhealthy or dying coral. I saved about 90% of the original water so only a 10% change in water, salinity was high so I just added filtered water until it was just right. there's a 10 gal sump underneath with a protein skimmer, wasn't to sure about when to run that and for how long? Just take a look and if you can try to give a basic rundown on how to keep this tank in tip top shape I would be so grateful. Thanks

IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0395.JPEG IMG_0396.JPEG IMG_0397.JPEG IMG_0398.JPEG IMG_0399.JPEG IMG_0400.JPEG IMG_0402.JPEG IMG_0403.JPEG IMG_0404.JPEG IMG_0405.JPEG IMG_0407.JPEG

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a test kit to see where you are with parameters. Looks like some algae that needs to be addressed.
This, also you said you added filtered water, how was this water filtered? You should only be adding RO water for evap or reducing salinity. You can use distilled in a pinch also but that can get expensive and annoying.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this. Lots of good info on sw tanks in general, equipment, water quality, etc, etc...

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a 100gal saltwater tank with living coral and a few inhabitants. I'm just starting fresh so any help would be greatly appreciated. Original owner had this tank for about 10 years, almost 95% self sustaining. I picked it up from the second owner after he had it for only about 3 months. I don't know anything about live coral, how they respond to stress, and what are the signs of unhealthy or dying coral. I saved about 90% of the original water so only a 10% change in water, salinity was high so I just added filtered water until it was just right. there's a 10 gal sump underneath with a protein skimmer, wasn't to sure about when to run that and for how long? Just take a look and if you can try to give a basic rundown on how to keep this tank in tip top shape I would be so grateful. Thanks

IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0395.JPEG IMG_0396.JPEG IMG_0397.JPEG IMG_0398.JPEG IMG_0399.JPEG IMG_0400.JPEG IMG_0402.JPEG IMG_0403.JPEG IMG_0404.JPEG IMG_0405.JPEG IMG_0407.JPEG
Where in Minnesota are you? I would suggest visiting Reef Collective (Zach) in New Brighton or New Wave Aquaria (Jen) in Plymouth and get acquainted with the staff there. They can help answer many of your questions and give you in-person guidance on how you should proceed. Also look up and join TCMAS, which is the local marine aquarium club. They have frag swaps twice a year. You should also watch many of the YouTube videos available online that will help.

You're going to have a ton of questions, and answering them onesy-twosey on the forums is not going to get you the help you need. And you're going to get a ton of answers, from scrap it all, pour all these magical chemicals in the tank, to spending thousands of dollars. The best answer here is to use the R2R forum search, find some people you see posting consistent and well thought answers versus flip off the cuff responses.

Start a build thread. This way you can post your questions here, at mention people, and track your answers in one place.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back