New to Saltwater

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Welcome!!
Welcome to R2R- perfecto.jpg

Secondly, I would utilize the sump unless you have bucks to throw around. What you have will work and can be arranged to your needs. I would recommend the SCA or Reef Octopus brands of skimmers. I have used both with the same success and will never use anything else, Tunze makes some nice smaller footprint ones as well. I would remove the bioballs, there are too many other options out there in my opinion that complete the same job only better, use the space for a heater or another form of media. Lastly, PLAN AHEAD! Look online, in stores and get information on what YOU want. Anyone can tell you what an ideal successful tank looks like, but the truth of the matter is, the only successful tank is the one you own and are pleased with. Fit your tank around your wants and your budget. Dont forget to ask questions, yes we have been there and dealt with that, we WILL help you. ENJOY!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the rodi kits are they worth the extra money for the pressure gauge and tds meter?
Yes. The pressure gauge will help you to manage the wear and tear on your membrane. Pressure too low and premature wear out of membrane and low RODI output. TDS meter will help you to understand any changes that are happening to the output so you know when to replace your media. Good to have the meter that measures both the incoming and outgoing finished RODI level.

OP
OP
O

ohlero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm planning on getting it into the cycle very soon, My plan is to buy the live rock, live sand, salt, refractometer, test kit, RODI system, heater, and complete my sump set up. I'm going to reuse the return pump I have now and replace it before I put fish in and keep it as a backup. Is this a good plan for the minimal about of things to get the tank up and running. Then before I put fish in ill add my skimmer, heater monitor, down the road ill add bio plates, and set up the refug. What's everybody's thoughts on this plan and am I missing anything?

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a solid plan to me. My only concern is if you are going to use bio plates this typically means you plan on having less rock and need the bio plates for bacteria. This won’t be an issue for the first few fish but I wouldn’t push the limit before adding them.

OP
OP
O

ohlero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a solid plan to me. My only concern is if you are going to use bio plates this typically means you plan on having less rock and need the bio plates for bacteria. This won’t be an issue for the first few fish but I wouldn’t push the limit before adding them.

I'm going to have as much rock as I can maybe 60 lbs in my tank more if I can make it look nice. I just want the bio plates for extra good bacteria. I'm not planning on over doing it with fish

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back