new to saltwater

mdzaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all

I am a new ownwer of redsea reefer 525xl delux, started to cycle the tank by adding x-bac live bacteria 8 days ago, at the moment i have what looks like bacteria bloom.
I have several questions:

1. do i need to start my skimmer during the cycle
2. how do i provide an ammonia source to start the cycle? live fish? fish food only?
3. what is my next step?

sincerely,

Zaki

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all

I am a new ownwer of redsea reefer 525xl delux, started to cycle the tank by adding x-bac live bacteria 8 days ago, at the moment i have what looks like bacteria bloom.
I have several questions:

1. do i need to start my skimmer during the cycle
2. how do i provide an ammonia source to start the cycle? live fish? fish food only?
3. what is my next step?

sincerely,

Zaki
Welcome :):)!! Starting your skimmer is completely up to you. I personally run all equipment from the beginning to get a feel for how everything works and to give the equipment a chance to break in....which is important for skimmers. You won't be skimming much of anything though at this early stage. You can provide ammonia from a bunch of different ways such as from a bottle, fish food, piece of dead shrimp, etc. After you add a source of ammonia, your next step is to wait and keep testing.....unfortunately lol.

virtual reality

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Glad you could join us.

welcome.gif

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
You can run the skimmer so it will "break in", you just need to open the lin on the cup open back to the sump cause it will most likely overflowing.
Buy a bottle of ammonia and dose it according the instructions to 2ppm ammonia

And buy a test kit. As long its not API.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer won't be needed as some have said. I did not even have one for a month or two. With things the way they are today with starter bacteria's the live fish method is pretty much dead. I start with piece of shrimp, trust me, you will know when to pull it...rest is patience, for the next 10-20 years or so. Welcome and good luck...

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Start your skimmer not needed but you can get used to it’s operation during this time. Ammonia source can be all what you mentioned. However, the use of fish to cycle may not be the most humane with the other options available these days.
You may want to read through this excellent write up...

Good luck!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Start your skimmer not needed but you can get used to it’s operation during this time. Ammonia source can be all what you mentioned. However, the use of fish to cycle may not be the most humane with the other options available these days.
You may want to read through this excellent write up...

Good luck!

+1

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can wait a couple of weeks before you start up the skimmer. And you do not have to wait for the tank to cycle if you use Fritz Aquatics Turbo Start bacteria culture; it will establish sufficient bacteria in the setup to immediately begin adding livestock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back