new to softies

volkswag63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the saltwater game, but after many set backs my tank seems to have stabilized and has been going strong for a few months now. I originally intended to keep this just a community swim tank, but I'm interested in getting some easy softies. I have a couple of hermit crabs though. Will that be an issue? And does anyone have some recommendations of some easy and hardy softies for a complete novice?

I'm not going to be adding anything soon, I'm thinking down the road 6-8 months.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. Most zoas are pretty easy to grow. Leathers, mushrooms, even euphyllias are easygoing. Duncuns, froagsawns. All easy beginner corals.

OP
OP
V

volkswag63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. Most zoas are pretty easy to grow. Leathers, mushrooms, even euphyllias are easygoing. Duncuns, froagsawns. All easy beginner corals.
Thanks for the recommends. When you say "definitely" are you saying hermit crabs are definitely an issue? Or just that you'll definitely give recommendations? :p

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommends. When you say "definitely" are you saying hermit crabs are definitely an issue? Or just that you'll definitely give recommendations? :p

What kind of hermit crab are we talking about? Like a Scarlett hermit that's part of a clean up crew?

OP
OP
V

volkswag63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of hermit crab are we talking about? Like a Scarlett hermit that's part of a clean up crew?
yes, sorry for not clarifying. Two scarlet hermits. I also have 12 snails roaming the tank as well

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits usually are not an issue. I have around 10 Hermits - Metalic Blue Leg, Halloween, Dwarf Zebras. None of them ever go after coral.
...And a ton of snails of various types...well over 60. Hermits are great cuc.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermit crabs and the softies will be fine together. I have around 12 blue legged hermits in my tank and the sand bed is littered with softies.

They will sometimes even eat algae off of the frag plug, so you don’t have to!

And does anyone have some recommendations of some easy and hardy softies for a complete novice?
Zoas, palys, mushrooms, Kenya trees, cloves, etc.

Just don’t get anything really expensive to start out with. Maybe buy a couple $10 palys and see how they do.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back