New to sps corals, weird polyp extension

Tangina20

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Messages
382
Reaction score
187
What state or country do you live in
New Mexico
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my stylo has grown like crazy since I got it but has weird polyp extension recently. It looks like only the tips are getting polyp extension and I can’t figure out why.

B66814D8-20A4-499D-BB18-D6AD8198D53C.jpeg
 
my stylo has grown like crazy since I got it but has weird polyp extension recently. It looks like only the tips are getting polyp extension and I can’t figure out why.

B66814D8-20A4-499D-BB18-D6AD8198D53C.jpeg
What are you Nitrates and Phosphates at? Also are you running Phosguard or something similar to help with Phosphates?
 
What are you Nitrates and Phosphates at? Also are you running Phosguard or something similar to help with Phosphates?
Phosphates are .03 and nitrates are 0-2.5 I’m not running any media because I usually struggle to get nutrients
 
I see polyp extension over most of the coral..

It is actually pretty light in color over all but the end have a little more color.
It’s patchy in some areas which is why I’m consifused. You would think all of the polyps would be upset if some of them are
 
That kind of birdsnest usually has different colored tips when growing.

It's kind of odd its growing vertically, it looks like it needs more light and possibly flow.

They usually spread out and get nice and wide when happy.
 
What is your flow like? I have oscillating power heads every hour. They usually close up for a little bit during the flow change then open back up. When I blast them with flow they do not seem to like it that much.
 
It could also be your lighting as well. What type of lighting do you have and do you know the par level it is at? Lighting looks really white. I have a purple stylo and it appears more translucent like yours when a lot of white is on it. The more blue my lighting then the more purple it looks.
 
It could also be your lighting as well. What type of lighting do you have and do you know the par level it is at? Lighting looks really white. I have a purple stylo and it appears more translucent like yours when a lot of white is on it. The more blue my lighting then the more purple it looks.
I have a 40 breeder with 2 Jebao powerheads. And 2 hydra 26 led lights.
 
What are your hydra settings?
I don’t have access to a par meter so I did the best I could based on research. My tank is only 16” deep

7737E895-BEB0-4F11-B865-C47320D8099D.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new