New to sps: Dosing Kalkwasser or 2 part??

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m have a nano tank about 1 year old. Starting to add some Lps frags and and a small frags of Monti Cap few weeks ago. I have not seen much drop in Alk, Cal, Mag. Is that because frags dont consume that much of Alk,Ca, Mg. I am looking to add in 2 acro frag into tank, just for starting.
Current live stock: zoan, shroom at bottom, acan frag, Hammer frag , Candycane frag, monti cap frag.
Adding some more lps soon: 2” scoly, some acan frags, blasto frags, duncan frags
Tank: 22g
PH: 8.4
KH: 9.6
Ca: 440
Mg: 1380
Nitrate: undetectable ~0
Nitrite,Amonia: 0
Dosing: amino acid and vodka daily
Feeding: Reef chilli 2 times a week
Any suggestion of the future dose 2 part/ Kalkwasser? And feeding further than what im doing?

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both :)

So be very very careful with Kalk in a new tank. Your goal is stable Alk, period, and Kalk can alter that. If you use a doser that's fine, if you use it in topoff then you'll want to do a timed topoff rather than float based. I'm the only person I know that used timed topoff and manually corrects for evaporation changes. :)

So, with the dosing route, I would not use a stirrer unless you are sitting on extra cash to spend. I would have a reservoir with a full strength mixture (2 teaspoons per gallon of RODI). Get a reliable doser, like a BRS peristaltic pump, and dose based on need, which will be just a small amount daily for now. As the acros grow you will need to dose more and more until eventually you meet or exceed your topoff demands, at which time you will need to supplement with 2 part.

Make sense?

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depend on the consumption , I started with dosing kalk water for my ATO (8 tsp for 5 gallon RODI). Now I use both kalk and 2 parts

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you currently topping off right now? Also how often do you perform water changes. Your water changes might be able to keep up with your Alk, Ca and Mg demands for now.
You can go with either for your tank. I have never tried Kalk but have only heard good things when paired with a good ATO. I personally would wait and invest in a dosing pump once your needs are there.

For dosing pumps:
If on a budget
Jebao dosing pump $65.00 (have 4 heads)
Like Markalot said that BRS pumps are good 69.99 each (will need 2)

Step up
Coral Box Wifi Doing pump 179.99
Bubble Magnus DOSING PUMP BM-T01 269.99 (3 heads)

Best of the Best
GHL 2.1 DOSER 2.1 SA 4 PUMP MASTER 459.90 (4 heads
Neptune DOS (need an Apex) 299.95

I would really be interested in trying the coral box Wifi doing pump on one of my tanks. Ultimately if money was no option i would hands down get the GHL. I currently own the Neptune DOS because i use the apex but would jump on a GHL in a heart beat if I needed it/ could justify changing out the DOS
Good luck
Any pictures of the tank?

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk in your ATO, it's cheap and easy. Start off will smaller amounts. For now your WC should be able to keep up with most demands. I would also recommend the Coral Box Wifi Doser. I have one on my nano, got it shortly after they came out and have never been disappointed with it.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk in your ATO, it's cheap and easy. Start off will smaller amounts. For now your WC should be able to keep up with most demands. I would also recommend the Coral Box Wifi Doser. I have one on my nano, got it shortly after they came out and have never been disappointed with it.

It is very hard to keep Alk stable when you use Kalk in the topoff. Evaporation changes will vary topoff amounts, maintenance on the tank can cause a change in topoff, the floats can get stuck and nuke the tank. Not recommended for SPS tanks IMO. Remember, symptoms of unstable Alk are usually base recession if the change is small, worse if the change is large.

I've used this doser on both my tanks going on 2 years now:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-top-off-doser-50-ml-per-minute-1.html

They make a smaller one as well:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-doser-1-1-ml-per-minute.html

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you currently topping off right now? Also how often do you perform water changes. Your water changes might be able to keep up with your Alk, Ca and Mg demands for now.
You can go with either for your tank. I have never tried Kalk but have only heard good things when paired with a good ATO. I personally would wait and invest in a dosing pump once your needs are there.

For dosing pumps:
If on a budget
Jebao dosing pump $65.00 (have 4 heads)
Like Markalot said that BRS pumps are good 69.99 each (will need 2)

Step up
Coral Box Wifi Doing pump 179.99
Bubble Magnus DOSING PUMP BM-T01 269.99 (3 heads)

Best of the Best
GHL 2.1 DOSER 2.1 SA 4 PUMP MASTER 459.90 (4 heads
Neptune DOS (need an Apex) 299.95

I would really be interested in trying the coral box Wifi doing pump on one of my tanks. Ultimately if money was no option i would hands down get the GHL. I currently own the Neptune DOS because i use the apex but would jump on a GHL in a heart beat if I needed it/ could justify changing out the DOS
Good luck
Any pictures of the tank?

I am using ATO with a 2 gallon box, water change 20% every 2 weeks

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both :)

So be very very careful with Kalk in a new tank. Your goal is stable Alk, period, and Kalk can alter that. If you use a doser that's fine, if you use it in topoff then you'll want to do a timed topoff rather than float based. I'm the only person I know that used timed topoff and manually corrects for evaporation changes. :)

So, with the dosing route, I would not use a stirrer unless you are sitting on extra cash to spend. I would have a reservoir with a full strength mixture (2 teaspoons per gallon of RODI). Get a reliable doser, like a BRS peristaltic pump, and dose based on need, which will be just a small amount daily for now. As the acros grow you will need to dose more and more until eventually you meet or exceed your topoff demands, at which time you will need to supplement with 2 part.

Make sense?
Got it thank you. But When I used kalk before I notice there is some white stuff build up in the bottom of the topoff box, so dispose that? Do I have to stir the mixture every few days?

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it thank you. But When I used kalk before I notice there is some white stuff build up in the bottom of the topoff box, so dispose that? Do I have to stir the mixture every few days?

I have always left it there. The stirrer will take care of some of that but not all. I would simply dump it every couple of months if ti bothers you. In my topoff container (remember I used a timed topoff so it's the same dose every day) I've left the white junk for over a year now. I make sure the feed hose is off the bottom of the container so it doesn't suck any of that dust up.

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always left it there. The stirrer will take care of some of that but not all. I would simply dump it every couple of months if ti bothers you. In my topoff container (remember I used a timed topoff so it's the same dose every day) I've left the white junk for over a year now. I make sure the feed hose is off the bottom of the container so it doesn't suck any of that dust up.
Thanks, btw just a quick question, when the acro come with a frag plug, should I remove it from the plug, I have seen some ppl glue the plug onto their live rock. In case of remove it, what should I use, bone cutter?

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very hard to keep Alk stable when you use Kalk in the topoff. Evaporation changes will vary topoff amounts, maintenance on the tank can cause a change in topoff, the floats can get stuck and nuke the tank. Not recommended for SPS tanks IMO. Remember, symptoms of unstable Alk are usually base recession if the change is small, worse if the change is large.
I should have mentioned my ATO is a set number through my doser. However, I would still say kalk is an easy way to maintain parameters if you use it right. I've been using kalk on my sps tanks for years and never had any issues that weren't my fault. My current sps nano I dose nothing but kalk for alkalinity along with wc and my numbers are very stable.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a nano. i'd be inclined to use two part over kalk. i have tried both more than once, and find i can keep my parameters more stable with 2 part that kalk. with kalk, imo, there is just too much variation with evaporation in a nano to not have the top off throw the parameters off.

if however, your top off is steady, the kalk would work just fine with 2 pt to make periodic adjustments

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a nano. i'd be inclined to use two part over kalk. i have tried both more than once, and find i can keep my parameters more stable with 2 part that kalk. with kalk, imo, there is just too much variation with evaporation in a nano to not have the top off throw the parameters off.
I have a ATO so I still okay in this case correct?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ATO so I still okay in this case correct?

I edited my post to add that if your evaporation rate is consistent, then kalk in the ATO would work fine, while making minor adjustments with 2 pt if needed.

when the outside air drops during the winter here, and the ambient air is bone dry, my evaporation rates nearly double throws my kalk dose off.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned my ATO is a set number through my doser. However, I would still say kalk is an easy way to maintain parameters if you use it right. I've been using kalk on my sps tanks for years and never had any issues that weren't my fault. My current sps nano I dose nothing but kalk for alkalinity along with wc and my numbers are very stable.

Me too, I call it timed topoff, no floats, and my topoff is saturated Kalk. My only remaining concern is that point when saturated Kalk is still too much for a tank using topoff. I had a time dialing it in, using a doser was much easier. Once the tank exceeded the amount Kalk provided then going full saturated Kalk using a timed topoff and supplementing with two part is the way to go. IMO.

OP
OP
Danh Ngo

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, I call it timed topoff, no floats, and my topoff is saturated Kalk. My only remaining concern is that point when saturated Kalk is still too much for a tank using topoff. I had a time dialing it in, using a doser was much easier. Once the tank exceeded the amount Kalk provided then going full saturated Kalk using a timed topoff and supplementing with two part is the way to go. IMO.
what is timed top off, how can you set it up? What is saturated KalK? Any instruction on those would help me alot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is timed top off, how can you set it up? What is saturated KalK? Any instruction on those would help me alot

Saturated Kalk is 2 tsp per gallon. It's the point where adding more precipitates out of solution. I do times using the apex. The OSC line is what does the work. Every 14 minutes and 20 seconds the pump turns on and runs for 40 seconds. I've had this program for over a year. Occasionally I will have to add RODI water manually to make up for some increased evaporation but typically it keeps water levels amazingly stable. My tank is covered so evaporation is fairly low, which helps.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 000:00/000:40/014:20 Then ON
If Outlet SUMP = OFF Then OFF
If Power EB4_4 Off 000 Then OFF

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Kalk to start. See if it maintains your levels based on your tank's fresh water ATO replenish rate/evap and coral consumption. I only switched to 2 part when I couldn't maintain it anymore based on consumption of a growing tank. Kalk was much easier and didn't require a doser other than the ATO.

sango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for BRS dosing pumps and 2-part. In my experience with nano tanks, I prefer to pay the upfront cost of dosing pumps for the improved stability as compared with kalkwasser via ATO.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back