New to sumps (previous aio owner)

Hotwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I’m looking to get a 75g innovative marine tank or 81g fijicube I’ve only ever owned aio tanks before so all this is new to me. How big of an area do you need for chaeto to significantly reduce nitrates?

Looking to have a softy and lps dominant tank with 8-12 fish. The fish is what does it for me over the coral surprisingly.

The sump I’m looking to get is the fijicube 24g it’s refugium area is 5.2”x7.3” will that do the trick or is it more complex than that?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use the skimmer chamber as my refugium on my fiji sump. That, plus a strong light (I use an ai prime I had on a previous tank), and chaetogro allows me to forgo water changes. I say try that first and then if it doesn't work add a skimmer and move the macro to the smaller section.

OP
OP
Hotwater

Hotwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use the skimmer chamber as my refugium on my fiji sump. That, plus a strong light (I use an ai prime I had on a previous tank), and chaetogro allows me to forgo water changes. I say try that first and then if it doesn't work add a skimmer and move the macro to the smaller section.
Sounds good, sounds like that works for you I’ll have to look into chaetogro. Appreciate your input. Would you mind attaching a pic of your sump so I can see what you got going on?

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, sounds like that works for you I’ll have to look into chaetogro. Appreciate your input. Would you mind attaching a pic of your sump so I can see what you got going on?

Sure. This is my setup. I use 4x10 100 micron socks (I have some 4x8 200 as well), red gracilaria, mocha ogo, and chaeto as well as seachem matrix media.I was thinking of a carbon reacor in the smaller refugium section but right now I have it in a bag in the place right before the filter socks
image000000 (2).jpg

OP
OP
Hotwater

Hotwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. This is my setup. I use 4x10 100 micron socks (I have some 4x8 200 as well), red gracilaria, mocha ogo, and chaeto as well as seachem matrix media.I was thinking of a carbon reacor in the smaller refugium section but right now I have it in a bag in the place right before the filter socks
image000000 (2).jpg
Looks good do you put a pump in the refugium area to create flow in that portion? And is this the fijicube 20 or 24 sump?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good do you put a pump in the refugium area to create flow in that portion? And is this the fijicube 20 or 24 sump?

I honestly can't remember if it was the fiji 24 or 20 sump. I used to have a pump in the refugium area but cleaning it got annoying and I haven't had any problems without it. I have an eflux 1950ph pump for the return running at around half power so that seems to be enough water movement through the macro. I have a hang on back skimmer on there from the previous tank but it isn't running as it got clogged while I was away a while back and I just stopped using it.

OP
OP
Hotwater

Hotwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump is $230 I was thinking about something allot cheaper but I haven’t done much research I guess it’s wise to spend some money on the return as it’s the heart of the system. How have you liked it any regrets? And having an overpowered pump that you run at 50% seems like it would make it last longer than a smaller pump you have to max out all the time.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump is $230 I was thinking about something allot cheaper but I haven’t done much research I guess it’s wise to spend some money on the return as it’s the heart of the system. How have you liked it any regrets? And having an overpowered pump that you run at 50% seems like it would make it last longer than a smaller pump you have to max out all the time.

My bad its 1900pgh not 1950pgh.

What country are you located in? On amazon in the US its only $165. Any good pump will work. I prefer D/C for return pumps but a regular pump with a ball valve should work.

OP
OP
Hotwater

Hotwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad its 1900pgh not 1950pgh.

What country are you located in? On amazon in the US its only $165. Any good pump will work. I prefer D/C for return pumps but a regular pump with a ball valve should work.
I’m in the US, how bout yourself? I just did a quick google search at work and I saw the $230, thanks for letting me know. Do you enjoy the pump? Does it have feed modes on it where you can turn it off say 15 min or whatever and then starts up again?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the US, how bout yourself? I just did a quick google search at work and I saw the $230, thanks for letting me know. Do you enjoy the pump? Does it have feed modes on it where you can turn it off say 15 min or whatever and then starts up again?

I like the pump. It was a tight squeeze in my sump though with the guard on it. There is no feed mode but return pumps typically don't create much flow compared to wavemakers. I actually prefer a lot of flow when feeding so the fish have to chase it and so nothing settles under a rock. My fish don't typically go for the food unless its suspended

OP
OP
Hotwater

Hotwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that makes sense I guess being able to turn the wavemakers to a feed mode is more important than the return pump.

what size tank do you have btw? Do you have a build thread?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I’m looking to get a 75g innovative marine tank or 81g fijicube I’ve only ever owned aio tanks before so all this is new to me. How big of an area do you need for chaeto to significantly reduce nitrates?

Looking to have a softy and lps dominant tank with 8-12 fish. The fish is what does it for me over the coral surprisingly.

The sump I’m looking to get is the fijicube 24g it’s refugium area is 5.2”x7.3” will that do the trick or is it more complex than that?
Its the light and par that grows chaeto.
Flow is not so important as long as it is moving.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that makes sense I guess being able to turn the wavemakers to a feed mode is more important than the return pump.

what size tank do you have btw? Do you have a build thread?

I have a 75g. I don't have have a build thread but here is a pic. I don't have as many fish as you plan on getting so you may still find use in media such as purigen and what not or eventually a skimmer but its worth a try to go with a big ball of chaeto first since you can just move it over to the smaller section if it ends up not being enough.

I feed a pinch of pellets, a pinch of flakes, live phyto, amino acids, AF energy (every few days) and my homemade fish food each once a day.

image000000 (3).jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back