New to SW - inheriting an active tank

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you'll do great. And I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. First of all you're willing to learn, which is half the battle. Especially if you're as ADD as I am lol. Second of all, this is basically a fish only tank aside from the anemone. If this was a full blown reef, I'd be more concerned. IMO most of the learning curve comes with coral. As long as the fish are disease free and eating they should be pretty easy to care for. Honestly I don't think you even need most of the test kits until you get into coral. Just make sure to have an ammonia kit for the move, a calibrated refractometer for salinity, and a thermometer. You could eventually get nitrate and alkalinity too, but probably not necessary if you're doing regular water changes. If you can figure out what salt the previous owner was using, a 5-10 gallon weekly water change is probably all you need to keep that anemone happy. Just monitor ammonia after the move and adjust feeding/water changes accordingly. Oh and be sure to match temperature and salinity whenever you make new water and always replace evaporated water with RODI/distilled water and not saltwater. Good luck!

OP
OP
Mdoolittle

Mdoolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, power is being cut to the house tonight so I have to move it. I asked for some time but no luck. What is the guy pictured?? There are several of them Scurrying about.

CCB516AA-D5EC-4302-AED9-DE7FB703B9D0.jpeg

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, power is being cut to the house tonight so I have to move it. I asked for some time but no luck. What is the guy pictured?? There are several of them Scurrying about.

CCB516AA-D5EC-4302-AED9-DE7FB703B9D0.jpeg

Bristleworm, they're useful for cleaning up excess food that the fish dont get to. They also sting pretty bad so be careful when working in the tank.

Only pic I was able to get.

F343592E-1860-459E-8214-9724AFEDD721.jpeg
Wow it's been awhile since lve seen an intank filter. Could definitely use a few upgrades, but thats further down the road. If it's been running like that for awhile, I'd keep it the way it is. Doesn't seem too bad though. Just a few pieces of rock and barely an inch of sand. How long is the drive?

OP
OP
Mdoolittle

Mdoolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm, they're useful for cleaning up excess food that the fish dont get to. They also sting pretty bad so be careful when working in the tank.

Wow it's been awhile since lve seen an intank filter. Could definitely use a few upgrades, but thats further down the road. If it's been running like that for awhile, I'd keep it the way it is. Doesn't seem too bad though. Just a few pieces of rock and barely an inch of sand. How long is the drive?

25 minute drive. There were two filters going— the one at the back of the biocube and the one inside. We successfully moved, and set up, the tank. I’ll test the water tomorrow to see how much damage has been done.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back