OP
NFS0331

NFS0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use a UV sterilizer during cycling process; I don't particularly like them except for disease mitigation/control and you're not there yet! You can put in live rocks anytime now and some of the die off on the rocks will provide source ammonia. The RedSea Maturation kit (https://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-Fish...fkmr0&keywords=redsea+maturation+kit)provides all the chemicals and timetable you need to fully cycle your tank - I recommend it or something similar for your first time cycling.
Good luck
That’s awesome! Thanks a lot I just purchased the kit it’s only treat 66 gallons. But since I am using the kit should I wait for the rocks? Or should I put live rocks now and then do the kit?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! Thanks a lot I just purchased the kit it’s only treat 66 gallons. But since I am using the kit should I wait for the rocks? Or should I put live rocks now and then do the kit?
I'd put the rocks in right now since they are an integral part of your reef's ecology and will definitely affect water quality. And, when you subtract the volume of water taken up by your sand/gravel and live rock you are probably very close to the 66 gallon limit!

OP
OP
NFS0331

NFS0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put the rocks in right now. And, when you subtract the volume of water taken up by your sand/gravel and live rock you are probably very close to the 66 gallon limit!
Ok sounds good I will order the rocks. I thought I can’t add the rocks if the water isn’t perfect lol but now I will! I love this forum already! You bee very helpful so thanks a lot and sorry for my stupid questions. It’s new thing I am pursuing and very excited and passionate about

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good I will order the rocks. I thought I can’t add the rocks if the water isn’t perfect lol but now I will! I love this forum already! You bee very helpful so thanks a lot and sorry for my stupid questions. It’s new thing I am pursuing and very excited and passionate about
No such thing as a stupid question; we've all had to learn and you're avoiding many of the mistakes some of us learned the hard way. Remember, the bacteria that live on and inside your rock is the main contributor to good water quality; they are what keeps your system healthy.

Bulk Reef Supply and Marine Depot have some very informative videos on YouTube, btw.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NFS0331

NFS0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good I will put the live rocks in and start the cycle. :). I will keep updating u guys with the results

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it didn’t state when to add the live rocks during process or if I should turn off the up green killer
Robbie,

Welcome to the Reef 2 Reef family :)

Freddie

OP
OP
NFS0331

NFS0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I just got my hydor 3rd gen pumps with the smart wave device :) I can't to get that Red Sea so I cycle my tank and be ready to roll. any rocks you guys recommend? I put only 10lbs rock that I bought from petco just so there is something there to activate the cycle. but once everything clean. what live rocks you recommend that are good? and where to buy them from? :D also what temperature the tank need to be during cycle? and should be there light to no light? I was looking to buy premium rocks and put them there but the guy told me not to until the cycle is complete. so should I keep my tank at 75% water until cycle complete then add more? or should I not listen to that guy and put those premium rocks there and then start the cycle I am just afraid I am gonna kill all the bacteria because its not cycled :(

Last edited:

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I just got my hydor 3rd gen pumps with the smart wave device :) I can't to get that Red Sea so I cycle my tank and be ready to roll. any rocks you guys recommend? I put only 10lbs rock that I bought from petco just so there is something there to activate the cycle. but once everything clean. what live rocks you recommend that are good? and where to buy them from? :D also what temperature the tank need to be during cycle? and should be there light to no light? I was looking to buy premium rocks and put them there but the guy told me not to until the cycle is complete. so should I keep my tank at 75% water until cycle complete then add more? or should I not listen to that guy and put those premium rocks there and then start the cycle I am just afraid I am gonna kill all the bacteria because its not cycled :(
Think I'd find another guy; you should cycle using that rock you plan to keep in your tank long term, otherwise when you add a lot of "new" live rock after you've cycled, your tank will most probably start a recycle. If you use the Red Sea kit you should follow their recommendations which is use light (I forget but probably 8 - 10 hours) and keep your temperature at 78 - 80. Once you add your rock, fill your tank. Article on cycling and setting up tank is very helpful in answering these questions.

Personally, I like the look of Tukani live rock but it is hard to find sometimes; you're probably better off using something available from your LFS or ordering off the web; you'll find some helpful recommendations on this blog. BTW, I would visit all the LFSs in your area to get different opinions, judgement and analysis and not rely on any one person for advice.

OP
OP
NFS0331

NFS0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I'd find another guy; you should cycle using that rock you plan to keep in your tank long term, otherwise when you add a lot of "new" live rock after you've cycled, your tank will most probably start a recycle. If you use the Red Sea kit you should follow their recommendations which is use light (I forget but probably 8 - 10 hours) and keep your temperature at 78 - 80. Once you add your rock, fill your tank. Article on cycling and setting up tank is very helpful in answering these questions.

Personally, I like the look of Tukani live rock but it is hard to find sometimes; you're probably better off using something available from your LFS or ordering off the web; you'll find some helpful recommendations on this blog. BTW, I would visit all the LFSs in your area to get different opinions, judgement and analysis and not rely on any one person for advice.

I think he said because those rock coming straight up from the ocean. In air shipping to my aquarium so he said that cus it have a lot of bacteria in it for a lot of years

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he said because those rock coming straight up from the ocean. In air shipping to my aquarium so he said that cus it have a lot of bacteria in it for a lot of years
I'm old school ;Oldman
So, I still use the Real Deal live rock to boot-up a new setup.

But... The last batch that I got, had six mantis shrimp that came with it :eek: :eek: :eek:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2017-02-07 18.28.50.png

OP
OP
NFS0331

NFS0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old school ;Oldman
So, I still use the Real Deal live rock to boot-up a new setup.

But... The last batch that I got, had six mantis shrimp that came with it :eek: :eek: :eek:
Haha how shrimp came with t!!!?

OP
OP
NFS0331

NFS0331

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rocks are all set. heater is set and everything is good, just waiting to get my Red Sea cycle Kit to start it I decided to go with mix between live and dry rocks 75lbs dry rocks and 17 lbs live rock and then after the cycle the dry will most likely be alive :D I am excited. here is the updated pic

BHxPxKnWSmi4mZ3WUh5LzQ.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back