New to the forum

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by NFS0331, Mar 7, 2018.

1. NFS0331

NFS0331 Member

Hey guys, My name is Robbie and I am from MN. Recently I started my 75 gallons saltwater aquarium. I have Fluval FX6 canister filter with bio max, carbon, and another good stuff to filter the best. I have the green killing machine, and recently ordered 2 fluvial E300 heaters. I put live sand and live gravel already and the water is so clear but running thro a little problem. everything seem great and all testing great but couple are not. I tried different test kit and I got almost the same results.

I put clear water solution
    stress coat, stress zyme and even stabilizer but still no luck...
    also noticed little bubbles in tank don't know what are those maybe because the green killer is splashing on the top of the water since I have only the tank filled 75% because I don't have live rocks yet. planning to put 80lbs live rocks and then top the water.

Results:

Nitrate 20ppm*** should be 0
    Phosphate 0.25***should be 0
    Nitrite 0ppm
    total hardness very hard 300 (they said that doesn't matter in saltwater... is that true?)
    chlorine 0
    KH 300
    calcium 500
    Salt is 1.025
    PH 7.8*** I think should be 8.4
    Temperature planning to put it between 75-76

any suggestions on how to get rid of nitrate and Phosphate?? and how to increase the PH a little I have no fish nothing there yet

GiOEPf%HTEOwhC4ERjfH4g.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    GoVols, WWIII and jsker like this.
    Tags:

2. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R! Good advice is on its way!

3. KJ

KJ Road Warrior R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader ETRC Member R2R Excellence Award

4. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member

Welcome to R2R Robbie. :)

5. Mikedawg

Mikedawg Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Welcome to R2R. Answers to a couple of questions will help forum members provide advice. How long has your tank been wet? Did you see the requisite change in water parameters to know that it has fully cycled? Any signs of diatoms or algae?
    I wouldn't worry too much about getting to 0, many "coral heads" think some nitrate/phosphate is essential for growth, depending on the species of coral of course. And, you're right about raising Ph.

6. rich nyc

rich nyc Well-Known Member

Welcome. Wish my aquarium looked as clean lol

GoVols, Chrisfish, KJ and 5 others like this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R

GoVols, Chrisfish, KJ and 4 others like this.
  8. NFS0331

NFS0331 Member

Thank u guys! And the tank been wet for 3 days how long does it usually take for the cycle? No algae but what signs you look for ?

GoVols, Chrisfish, KJ and 5 others like this.
  9. Mikedawg

I would carefully review the article KJ referenced above for some basic information about cycling. Essentially, you'll want to test your water regularly for spikes in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and finally a leveling off of nitrate readings (a good quality test kit is essential). You'll need a source of ammonia to get the cycle started if there is not a sufficient level of it in the tank now. I use the Red Sea Maturation kit to cycle my tanks which takes several weeks, and there are many other good approaches referenced on this forum. Also, get prepared for the uglies - diatoms, algae, etc. which are all part of the process in coming weeks/months.
    Patience really is a virtue when it comes to properly establishing your tank; you'll never regret doing it right so resist any impulses to buy fish/corals before the process is completed, IMHO.
    Good luck!

10. NFS0331

NFS0331 Member

Ok thank you, you think I need Ammonia even with stabilizer of stress zyme and stuff? Cus they state that those are live bacteria

GoVols, DSC reef, WWIII and 1 other person like this.
  11. jt17

jt17 Valuable Member Partner Member 2018

Welcome to r2r.
    If you add ammonia make sure it's pure. Most products have a surfactant that you do not want. The only place I could find it is online from Dr. Tim or ace hardware sells 10% ammonium hydroxide.

GoVols, Chrisfish, KJ and 6 others like this.
  12. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R, Robbie

13. Mikedawg

You want to grow enough bacteria to efficiently consume and turn into nitrogen gas the ammonia produced by your fish, etc. over the long term. To get this bacteria growing process started you'll need some ammonia source to feed the live bacteria provided by the Stresszyme product. Some people use chemical ammonia or other commercial products, or dead shrimp, flake food, etc. to provide a food source for your "good" bacteria.

14. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Welcome to R2R!!! Good advice so far! Lot's of help here on reef2reef!

GoVols, KJ, Lovemyreef2015 and 2 others like this.
  15. Jason mack

Jason mack Monti madness R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

GoVols, Chrisfish, KJ and 3 others like this.
  16. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R and thanks for joining.

GoVols, Chrisfish, KJ and 2 others like this.
  17. Mikedawg

GoVols, Chrisfish, KJ and 1 other person like this.
  18. NFS0331

NFS0331 Member

Ohh I see so should I turn off uv green killer during this process I can either put a shrimp or use one of those biodigest too right?

GoVols, Chrisfish and DSC reef like this.
  19. NFS0331

NFS0331 Member

But it didn’t state when to add the live rocks during process or if I should turn off the up green killer

20. Mikedawg

I wouldn't use a UV sterilizer during cycling process; I don't particularly like them except for disease mitigation/control and you're not there yet! You can put in live rocks anytime now and some of the die off on the rocks will provide source ammonia. The RedSea Maturation kit (https://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-Fish...fkmr0&keywords=redsea+maturation+kit)provides all the chemicals and timetable you need to fully cycle your tank - I recommend it or something similar for your first time cycling.
    Good luck

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    GoVols and Jason mack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted