New to the forums, need some advice :)

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am new to the forums, and am coming here in hopes of receiving a little help for my small and improperly set up 20 gallon tall ( hopefully sometime a reef ) tank. I set it up on a very tight budget, using mostly materials from my various freshwater tanks, I was going to set it up in my largest empty tank ( 60 gallons ) but the reason it is empty is because the dimensions are trash, and while it looks cool it is impossible to maintain, and even was as a simple freshwater low tech planted.

I started out it the worst way possible, using a high quality freshwater light, ( fluval fresh and plant ) and adjusting it for saltwater, but I still don't like what it puts out, a in tank hob filter, and a heater rated for 60-100 gallon aquariums. Then I put in sand water live rock, dry rock, and a fish all in one day, cause my lfs said, oh you need a fish to kick start the cycle. petco is more knowledgeable than my lfs ( they did just do a reno though, and they re staffed with some decent people :) . so here I am with 4.0 ammonia and a freakin fish. It actually didn't die, and Is the only fish I like that I have in my tank.

Not much has changed equipment wise, I now have no idea what my ammonia is because of aqueous trash master test kit, the ammonia readings are like, bright yellow is all clear and a slightly darker yellow is toxic, it is somewhere between zero and 1.0, that's all I know. but everything is living so I guess that says something.

I also added a zoa, and a pulsing xenia, they died within the first days, but that was at the one month mark, we are now at the four month mark, I am still too scared to add corals after that.

and I now have a little bit of nice marco in the tank, a snail three hermits, my first fish ( a black and orange clownfish ) and 2 pajama cardinals. I wish I hadn't bought the pagans, they aren't colorful, and constantly hide, so I will be looking to get rid of them with my *soon* tank upgrade.

oh, and did I mention I use tap water :cool:, nope no cool faces, only diatoms, something I hope to also change in my tank/system upgrade.

as far as the ugrade goes there is a nice 60 gallon with a sump and stand for sale at a good price in my area, It is a good quality system so if the seller come through I will hopefully have that in my hands,I cant afford a new system, but I also cant afford ugly black rims, so this is what I am settling for :)

The upgrade will have everything done properly,, but that being said it could be a while.

NOT RAGE TYPING STARTS HERE: ;)

none of you probably read this far as I am just rage typing now, but the help I needed was mainly as far as keeping this tank happy while I work on system upgrades, my main concern is feeding right now, as the only fish I have ever seen eat is my clownfish, I have literally never seen the pajamas eat, although they have been with me for a good month now. I feed saltwater flakes, and don't know what I should be feeding, I can't afford to go the brine shrimp route, neither money nor time wise, so what should I go to?

also dosing, I just do plain salt and prime in my water during water changes, and don't do any dosing, so what should I be doing, and how should I try to start reintroducing corals if that is even possible?

here is the tank as of this morning: ( water change done yesterday, like 30 or 40 percent )

IMG_1701.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah admittedly I glossed over when I read that Petco was more knowledgeable than your LFS ...
not exactly a ringing endorsement :D
anyway, big welcome you came to the right place .... I’ll rejoin after others input
...again welcome

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I re-read the post,
too late to turn back so may as well forge ahead....
what kind of macro algae is in the tank and what’s your current budget like?
what brand is your test kit?
how much live rock did you get? (looks like about 20lbs?)
theoretically the FW light could work but anew light is in your future
also at. wanna step up the. current, even a 29 buck nano powerhead works...Sicce. and Tunze make pumps under 40.... my experience is to stay away from cheapo Chinese stuff.... usually, not always tho, esp on a tight budget
FWIW Denver tap aint bad...where in CO are you?
oh check out Brightwells Microbacter ...I’d shoot a lil in the tank “just because”

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I re-read the post,
too late to turn back so may as well forge ahead....
what kind of macro algae is in the tank and what’s your current budget like?
what brand is your test kit?
how much live rock did you get? (looks like about 20lbs?)
theoretically the FW light could work but anew light is in your future
also at. wanna step up the. current, even a 29 buck nano powerhead works...Sicce. and Tunze make pumps under 40.... my experience is to stay away from cheapo Chinese stuff.... usually, not always tho, esp on a tight budget
FWIW Denver tap aint bad...where in CO are you
I believe that it is red ogo, as far as current budget goes, I don't want to dump too much more money into this tank, and rather save it for the upsize/grade, but I wouldn't mind spending another couple hundred for things specific to this tank, and then I would be willing to spend quite a bit more for things that could be useful in the upsize/grade.

test kit is aqueon, it is a freshwater, so if there was a better test kit that is not astronmically expensive, I would be willing to upgrade that as well.

I got like 12 or 14 pounds of dry rock and like 8 pounds of live rock ( the live rock is the stuff that is compltely covered ( or mostly ) in coraline.

yeah, I am looking into hd primes, but any other suggestions welcome :)

I got like a two pack chinese off amazon, and when I had small grain sand ( glad I switched it for the larger grain ) they were to powerful, but I could take away the 3d printed flow diverter I put on the current one in there, the other powerhead is for saltwater mixing.

Im in Fort Collins, water mostly from horsetooth, with some from the pouder.

thanks for the advice and help :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back