New to the hobby and forum! Starting my first nano reef aquarium

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I'm here to share my new experience with the saltwater aquarium hobby :)

I got involved with freshwater aquariums a while back and recently made my transition to saltwater.
Currently using a 13.5 Fluval Evo to get familiar with saltwater without having a huge commitment. I think eventually I'd like to upgrade to a 40 Gal long. But this small project gives me the chance to acquire some of the necessary equipment. So far I added a better return pump, wave maker, 25K LED marine light, ATO and extra bio-media. Mixing with Aquaforrest salt and monitoring KH/PH/Nitrates pretty regularly.. What do you think?

So far the tank is 2 months old and cleanup crew was added a few weeks after setup (Dosed with Aquaforrest live bacteria to speed up cycle). The diatom bloom was significant but the 3 Astraea snails and 3 Halloween hermits are doing a great cleanup job, they all seem very happy. This pervious weekend my girlfriend and I couldn't wait any longer and bought our first two corals. After no immediate adverse effects in the water we bought 3 more the next day.. I know.. my patience went out the window xD Ideally would have added fish before but we go on vacation for two weeks in may.. I figured corals should be alright while we're gone, am I correct? Hopefully the ATO and cleanup crew helps with that..

Anyways, I'm having a blast so far and can't wait to add some fish! Any input, advice or information is appreciated! THANKS! :D

PXL_20220328_191516085.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220328_191544517.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220328_191550106.NIGHT.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I'm here to share my new experience with the saltwater aquarium hobby :)

I got involved with freshwater aquariums a while back and recently made my transition to saltwater.
Currently using a 13.5 Fluval Evo to get familiar with saltwater without having a huge commitment. I think eventually I'd like to upgrade to a 40 Gal long. But this small project gives me the chance to acquire some of the necessary equipment. So far I added a better return pump, wave maker, 25K LED marine light, ATO and extra bio-media. Mixing with Aquaforrest salt and monitoring KH/PH/Nitrates pretty regularly.. What do you think?

So far the tank is 2 months old and cleanup crew was added a few weeks after setup (Dosed with Aquaforrest live bacteria to speed up cycle). The diatom bloom was significant but the 3 Astraea snails and 3 Halloween hermits are doing a great cleanup job, they all seem very happy. This pervious weekend my girlfriend and I couldn't wait any longer and bought our first two corals. After no immediate adverse effects in the water we bought 3 more the next day.. I know.. my patience went out the window xD Ideally would have added fish before but we go on vacation for two weeks in may.. I figured corals should be alright while we're gone, am I correct? Hopefully the ATO and cleanup crew helps with that..

Anyways, I'm having a blast so far and can't wait to add some fish! Any input, advice or information is appreciated! THANKS! :D

PXL_20220328_191516085.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220328_191544517.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20220328_191550106.NIGHT.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. Sounds like you already know patience is magic in this hobby, and water testing to maintain stable water parameters are key to healthy corals. FOWLR is more forgiving than reef tanks like you (and I) have.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Sounds like you already know patience is magic in this hobby, and water testing to maintain stable water parameters are key to healthy corals. FOWLR is more forgiving than reef tanks like you (and I) have.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks! that's a great idea, I'll check that out tonight :)

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello GIF by Originals

Love the evo!!!
@Sharkbait19 has a lot of knowledge about the evo and is now upgrading to a 40 gal breeder. Glad to have you here. Are you planning to stock any fish in it?
Thanks! I'll definitely check @Sharkbait19's page out! Once I'm back from vaca I'd like to add 2 Ocellaris clownfish and eventually a mandarin goby... However my local store also has some beautiful blue devil damselfish..

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll definitely check @Sharkbait19's page out! Once I'm back from vaca I'd like to add 2 Ocellaris clownfish and eventually a mandarin goby... However my local store also has some beautiful blue devil damselfish..

This is a useful link for mandarin goby. Sadly so many starve. I culture pods so I can feed my tank equivalent bottle of pods a day to keep my mandarin happy (and all the fish that are not supposed to be eating my mandarin's food).

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a useful link for mandarin goby. Sadly so many starve. I culture pods so I can feed my tank equivalent bottle of pods a day to keep my mandarin happy (and all the fish that are not supposed to be eating my mandarin's food).

Yes, I've heard that's the number one issue.. Lucky I believe my LFS has them on frozen mysis shrimp but I'll certainly be careful and use the link you suggested :) Thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
Looks like you’ve got a nice mix of corals already! I’d move the gsp and clove polyps both to their own rock away from the main structure - they grow fast and can become a nuisance fast.
Personally I’d wait in a mandarin until you have the 40, you will be spending a lot of money trying to feed it in such a small tank. Instead I’d look into a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp pair to occupy the sandbed. The dynamic is really fun to watch (or individual behaviors if they don’t pair like mine did :rolleyes:).
Coral and inverts will be fine alone, though tossing some food every few days wouldn’t hurt (if you have someone to take care of it while you are out).
I suggest quarantining all new fish - disease is a big problem and nobody wants to fallow their reef for many weeks.

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
Looks like you’ve got a nice mix of corals already! I’d move the gsp and clove polyps both to their own rock away from the main structure - they grow fast and can become a nuisance fast.
Personally I’d wait in a mandarin until you have the 40, you will be spending a lot of money trying to feed it in such a small tank. Instead I’d look into a shrimpgoby + pistol shrimp pair to occupy the sandbed. The dynamic is really fun to watch (or individual behaviors if they don’t pair like mine did :rolleyes:).
Coral and inverts will be fine alone, though tossing some food every few days wouldn’t hurt (if you have someone to take care of it while you are out).
I suggest quarantining all new fish - disease is a big problem and nobody wants to fallow their reef for many weeks.
That's all great info!! I'll see if I can find a new spot for the cloves and GSP tonight, I just got my reef glue so that'll help big time over trying to stick the frags into rocks ha...

And yeah, the mandarin makes me nervous so that might end up being the plan.. I'd feel terrible starving such a beautiful creature.

Is there a particular type of coral food I should look into and maybe a regular feeding schedule?

Thanks!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back