New to the hobby from Poughkeepsie NY

Kilroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurking for a month or so now and having been trying to plan my first tank out as much as I can before I pull the trigger. I was going to wait to join until I officially started my build but changed my mind once I saw a thread about reefers in the mid-Hudson Valley NY area. Being from Poughkeepsie NY, I am thrilled to know there are some members nearby! I have been spending countless hours on here and on YouTube (BRS 52 weeks) learning (trying to anyway) as much as I can about the hobby. Numerous times I have settled on a sump design or certain type of equipment only to, one or two days later, completely toss it for a different one that seems superior. I have learned so much already from my time lurking on this forum and look forward to continuing to learn as I build my first reef tank. I will definitely be asking many questions in the coming months so excuse my naivety ahead of time. I will post a build thread in the future but so far I have ordered a shadow overflow drilled 120g Peninsula style tank from SC Aquariums and managed to get a Giesemann Aurora 48” for $650 (I think I did well on that purchase?).

I look forward to being a part of the Reef2Reef community and diving into this hobby! (with patience of course)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Thank you for the introduction – we’re glad you’re here!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1331C86E-EA6C-40AC-9B23-E1B26FD7997A.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Glad you joined us !!

1568384261294.png

OP
OP
Kilroy

Kilroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.
Glad you decided to get involved early on.

Equipment envy is real! lol. Try to be as flexible with your design as you can. A lot of the crazy cool equipment can be added on months and months from now.

spockwelcome.jpg

Lol Yeah, I am definitely going to try to be economical in my order of purchases. I’m going to post my plan so far in a day or two once I can lay it out in a coherent manner. Feel free to weigh in on any items that realistically can wait!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Yeah, I am definitely going to try to be economical in my order of purchases. I’m going to post my plan so far in a day or two once I can lay it out in a coherent manner. Feel free to weigh in on any items that realistically can wait!

You'll get plenty of feedback on equipment. I'm a cheapskate, but am slowly coming around to the wisdom of buying what you need once, not junk that you will have to replace. That said, you've got to live with your tank and see how it fits into your lifestyle (and how your ecosystem prefers to run) for at least a few months before you can make the best equipment choices.

OP
OP
Kilroy

Kilroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get plenty of feedback on equipment. I'm a cheapskate, but am slowly coming around to the wisdom of buying what you need once, not junk that you will have to replace. That said, you've got to live with your tank and see how it fits into your lifestyle (and how your ecosystem prefers to run) for at least a few months before you can make the best equipment choices.
Makes sense, would you say that the must have equipment to start are:
  • Tank
  • Stand
  • sump
  • Filter of some kind (socks etc)
  • Skimmer
  • Lights
  • RODI
  • Pump
  • Powerheads
  • ATO system
  • Heaters
  • Test kits etc I’m working on acquiring these now but additionally I am going to run a refugium so I’ll need items for that as well. I figure I’ll wait on the controller through the cycling phase so I can get a handle on the science and better appreciate the workload it will help carry once I get one. Plus, I am researching QT methods so I can get the equipment for that as well. So much to learn and plan for!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back