New to the hobby need help

winsisle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Im new to the hobby and looking for advice to get started.
Visited a few of my local shops to get prices and costs for a system set up. Buying everything new is pretty expensive.
Started looking at used equipment which seems much more affordable. My thought is to try used equipment and once I get things going invest more money into better equipment and larger tank.
Ive found this set up and wondering if its good to start? Thanks for your time and advice!

Reef Tank
48” Wide
24” High
24” Deep
= 100 Imperial Gallons (120 US Gallons , 453 Liters)
Double drilled rear corner returns
Pair of glass lids
30” High solid wood stand with unfinished pine covering.
Sump Tank
30” Wide
16” High
12” deep
= 21 Imperial Gallons (25 US Gallons , 95 Liters)
Top up tank
16” deep
10” high
9” deep
= 5 Imperial Gallons (6.5 US Gallons , 24 Liters)
Setup includes
- Jebao DCP 8000 Main pump
- Reef Octopus 110INT Protein Skimmer
- Current USA Loop Marine Bluetooth System (minus the return pump) LED Lights and a single Wave Pump
- Yoozy Auto Feeder
- Multiple parts, cleaners, supplies, Ezra pumps, test kits, etc)

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list you provided is very extreme for a newbie, research each item and it's requirements, it takes alot more than a new/used aquriam to be successful

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks:

For maximum bang for your buck balanced with reliability:

Seriously consider a 75 vs 90 gallon aquarium and get a rimmed tank. When buying new the 75 gallon is 3” shorter, half the price, readily available, and if you’re willing to drive to Buffalo (going by the location in your profile) you can get one at Petco’s half price sale going on now for US$130. Downside if the long sides are often tempered, so can’t be drilled, but a siphon overflow is an easy option to install a sump.

For the sump the tank you’re talking about is, I think, a 29 Long Rimmed tank. This is a popular sump for a 75g tank and a decent choice. If you can make it to your nearest Petco while the sale is still on it’ll set you back US$40, although a 20L might be easier to work in.

My 2c: Start with a FOWLR and then work up to lights, etc. Theres just so much to learn about how all this stuff goes together and so many options, and at the same time until you’re kinda doing this you won’t understand what a lot of the products mean, pros and cons, and whether you’ll need them. It’s gonna take a bit to get to the stage where you know enough to buy second hand while knowing what to look for.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back