New to the Hobby

Susanak6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting a salt water reef tank for some years now and finally got my opportunity 8 months ago. It started by a friend who was moving and couldnt take his 165 gallon tank that he has had for 10 years to his new house. I was happy to accept the tank. It was very short notice so we had to build a temporary base for the tank until i got a new base with cabinet.
Once we did the transfer, the actual tank was in worse shape than we predicted, the move making it worse. It was an acrylic tank that got scratched up (the person that was moving it said he would buff it and in fact made it worse) and the sides were completely bowing out.
I found a great Aquarium builder who ordered me a new glass tank and built my cabinet.
The past 8 months have been a roller coaster ride but a fun one at that. Truly enjoying this new hobby and learniing something new every day. Definitely very time comsuming but totally worth it. Our whole family, including all of our children, have bonded and check on a daily basis for our new fish and corals. There is always something exciting to be found every day.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, and welcome to the committee. 165 gallons is a big tank and sounds like a very cool setup.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
52db0727b90002944f301106227c2835.png

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for joining.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting a salt water reef tank for some years now and finally got my opportunity 8 months ago. It started by a friend who was moving and couldnt take his 165 gallon tank that he has had for 10 years to his new house. I was happy to accept the tank. It was very short notice so we had to build a temporary base for the tank until i got a new base with cabinet.
Once we did the transfer, the actual tank was in worse shape than we predicted, the move making it worse. It was an acrylic tank that got scratched up (the person that was moving it said he would buff it and in fact made it worse) and the sides were completely bowing out.
I found a great Aquarium builder who ordered me a new glass tank and built my cabinet.
The past 8 months have been a roller coaster ride but a fun one at that. Truly enjoying this new hobby and learniing something new every day. Definitely very time comsuming but totally worth it. Our whole family, including all of our children, have bonded and check on a daily basis for our new fish and corals. There is always something exciting to be found every day.

Hi Susanak6!

I am so happy that you are so passionate about the tank:)
Do you have any future plans for it?

Zhenya

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back